Are chickens contagious?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gjamesi, Sep 29, 2015.

1. gjamesi

gjamesi Out Of The Brooder

Greetings and Salutations from Sidney, Vancouver Isl. B C.
    A couple of months ago my partners daughter decided she wanted "fresh eggs" and bought 5 chicks for the backyard. One turned ou5 male and as they live downtown Victoria he had to go (bylaws).Since I live rural I was gifted with a ameraucana rooster with a pullet to keep him company.Within days I had convinced myself they needed company so I found a of black jersey giant pullets. Another week someone was giving away 6 two year old rhodes free because they stopped laying. After a month I ended up eating the rooster as he was getting meaner and meaner towards the hens. Someone else's flock was attacked by weasels so I inherited 4 isa's as well, small hens but jumbo eggs. Next someone in town needed to re_home a bantam rooster and his 2 hens,built them their own tractor but they were so tame they ended up owning the front yard. The girl I got the 2 jersey giant pullets had to get rid of 2 of her jersey giant roosters so I have those.Someone else lost most of their flock to weasels and I got a 3 year old ameraucana hen crossed with something that had feathered feet and a copper maran crossed hen. I've built two coops and 2 runs and they alternate days to free range my backyard. Now I have an incubator up and running with a few bantam eggs,6 isa x jersey giant eggs,6 Rhode x jersey giant and one egg from the copper maran and jersey giant. These birds now take up a fair bit of my life and I seeem unable to stop myself.

2. rockriver

rockriver Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    Haha didnt take u ling gathering a few up how many is that now

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! As you have found out chickens are seriously contagious :yiipchick Flocks just seem to grow and grow as you have found out. Once you start you really can't stop. I originally only started with 2 amid then I got into incubating eggs and there was no stopping me!!

Wishing you the very best of luck with your flock in the future.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

4. rockriver

rockriver Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    I started with 6 RIR hens they all died last year then i got 6 more this summer one just went broody and is now sitting on eggs so my glock is getting bigger too

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'm never sure if I'm raising chickens or weeds out there in the coop! They grow like weeds and they just keep coming and coming and.....................

Welcome!

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    :yuckyuck :lau

That's what I'm going to tell my other half!! They are weeds not chickens and he needs his eyes testing :lau

7. Bine

Bine Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, but you have been infected by CMV, the Chicken Math Virus. The Virus blocks the part of the brain that is responsible for counting chickens correctly.
    In the next year you will add more and more chickens to your flock til your yard is overrun with chickens. When asked you still will answer that you have some birds, not a lot.....
    But there is hope. Most people learn to manage the disease and only have attacks in Spring when the feed shops have chicks. Some will develop an effection for one breed and will live the happy life of a show breeder with lots of birds that all (more or less) look the same. This only masks the illness b/c noone can tell the birds appart and so noone can confront you with the real number of birds in your yard.

1 person likes this.
  8. gjamesi

gjamesi Out Of The Brooder

Dang,I had an odd feeling that might be the case.

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Sooooo, are you secretly living in my closet? I've never heard myself defined so well! [​IMG]

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by