are chickens o.k in rain?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lowerowe, Dec 13, 2008.

1. lowerowe

lowerowe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2008
    melbourne, australia
    hi, stupid question?
    i have a run with a shade cloth roof and chicken wire. but little shelters they can hide under, and of coarse their coop (it high on legs). but they only stand in the rain! and of coarse complain about it. (i think)

is it o.k for them to stand out in the rain or am i better building over roof with laserlight roof panels for more shelter?

i dont want the little darlings uncomfortable and wet . (or cold)[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  2. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm interested to hear what others say. My girls stand out in the rain and it doesn't seem to bother them. It rains a lot here ... cold rain too, don't know what you have in Melbourne, but it doesn't bother them so far.

3. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    if you dont want them wet in the rain,build a roof

4. KeyPenCoop

KeyPenCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2008
    Lakebay, WA
    ........yeah, I am curious too. It's not a matter if I want them in the rain or not...... I want what is best for them. My girls stand out in the rain too, though the wind kept them in today. But I am worried that if they're soaked when they go in the house at night that they may freeze..........I know I would.........

5. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    they may not freeze but they sure will chill and then get sick and die

6. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    skeeter,
    i see you are from oregon. where abouts? if you don't feel like fully disclosing-- the wet part or the dry part? [​IMG]

do you have a cover for yours? i planned to make one for mine as a little extra luxury next spring, but didn't really feel it was necessary. they seem happy as little clams standing out in the rain around here...

7. lowerowe

Nov 8, 2008
    melbourne, australia
    i'm like everyone else, i am just worried if they get sick, but i put up a half cover today in the rain.....and guess what, they stood in the rain side

8. PAJerry

PAJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Waterford, PA
    Mine stand in the rain but won't go out in snow. They all looked like drowned rats on the roost last time it rained, but by morning they were all fluffed up and pretty. It might be that they like showers just like people!

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:During our summer here, my chooks like to stand in the rain to cool off.

How warm is it down under in Melbun this time of year? I have an aunt that was raised in Melbourne.

10. lowerowe

Nov 8, 2008
    melbourne, australia
    about 20 degrees Celsius and high wind factor, but all else good. their all in bed now and looking pretty. little buggers still in the nesting box though!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by