Are chickens 'on the clock'?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jgilliatt, Aug 29, 2010.

1. jgilliatt

jgilliatt Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    My six black jersey giants have been free range since this spring when they were old enough to be out by themselves. I noticed that they have clock-like routines and could easily find them due to the time of day. The girls would even expect me to deliver their dinner at the bottom of the steps at 4:30 every afternoon. They put themselves to bed in the coop at dusk. We recently developed the problem of them roaming too far - like into the neighbors' yards. Needing some confinement, but not wanting to keep then in their coop and 4x6 pen, I put up a fence surrounding the coop. It encompasses an area about half the size of a football field. The first day, I scattered a lot of treats into the woods to keep them busy foraging. I noticed, though, that at certain times of the day, the hens seemed agitated and were pecking at the fencing. Although they have a great space, they are missing their normal routine. They ate very little of their regular food - quite unusual. Has anyone else notice these time patterns with their chickens?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Oh Yes!
    They have me well trained.
    They have to be let out by first light.
    Get treats as soon as I get home from work.

and if I don't; they announce it to the entire neighborhood. [​IMG]

Imp- Glad my neighbors like my chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by