Are chickens pets?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by FalcoOat, Jun 30, 2011.

1. FalcoOat

FalcoOat Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Fargo, ND
    To continue the dialogue about neighborhood covenants... It looks like our fight is really going to come down to whether or not these are 'customary household pets.' that is as specific as our covenant gets, and believe it is a good sign that they list birds as a part of that. So I am just curious, how many of you that have chickens view them as your pets, and would you feel confident fighting that definition in court? Also, does anyone have any good statistics on the percentage of the population that now keeps chickens, and how much it has grown in the past, say, 10 years? Thank you for any advice you can offer, we are in the thick of it now!!! [​IMG]

2. clarkechick

clarkechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I only have three hens but they are DEFINITELY pets in my household. Before I got them, I discussed it with quite a few friends. Most of them said that they didn't view it as any different than a bunny in a rabbit hutch in the back yard. If you have 10 or more of them... I don't know if you could make the same argument. Just my opinion, but when I'm out talking to them holding and petting them - no one could argue that they are my pets.

3. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    They all have names. I give them food and water and look after them. I enjoy their company. I give them medical attention when needed. I bury them when they die and I cry for their loss. Of course they are pets!

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    You need to obtain as much persuasive evidence as possible. Print out the home page from mypetchicken.com. Look up and print out catalogs for things like chicken diapers, harnesses and leads, etc., that are used by those with pet chickens.

5. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    When they come running, walk around us doing their little cluck, cluck and other contented noises; hop up on our legs while we sit in the chairs talking (gave up trying to eat out there) to be pet....yeah, I'd call them pets. My daughter spends more time with her chickens than she does with her dog. I have to remind her to "give that dog some attention."

6. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    "Customary" for whom? If you have always had chickens, then they are customary for you. But most non-chicken folks would probably say they are not customary. But they are definitely pets.

You might have a good fight since they were so vague on the description.

7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    They're barnyard, backyard livestock, farm animals, somewhere the line was blurred then erased to the point that any animal could be a pet.

8. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I'd say yes, they are more pets that anything when kept in small numbers. People have kept small flocks for personal egg use in their backyard forever. In the UK chickens are everywhere. A parakeet is a pet and so are many other birds. I consider the number the definitive difference between being a pet and livestock. Less than 12= pet. More than 12 probably livestock and production. Our area limits residential zoned lots to 12, roosters only with neighbor permission.

9. ericsgirlie

ericsgirlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    Never would have thought it, but they are totally pets! One more than the others, but they still swarm you when you go outside [​IMG] Henny penny would live inside if she could and can be found watching tv with our daughter Hannah. PS probably why she is not laying, LOL

Laura

10. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by