are chickens/roosters noisy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by duck15, Aug 20, 2011.

1. duck15

duck15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    im thinking of buying a chicken but i think they are noisy are they?

2. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Well that's relative. How much space do you have, how many will you get etc.....Roosters of course make the loudest noise, hens make noise when they lay or are upset but compared to the average barking dog, they are quiet.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Rooster crow and nature designed that crow to travel and be heard up to a quarter mile.

Hens too can get quite loud. Their cackles and ba-gawks can easily travel, in the right conditions, 1/8 of a mile.
    When considering chickens, one should never plan on having "quiet" chickens. Nature gave them voices and calls, like most animals, for a reason. Not that everyone in your neighborhood will always appreciate that fact.

4. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    I am not sure if this is true for all Silkie owners..but I find my silkie hens make less noise then my other hens..it may be due to their size..or they may be just drowned out with my adult hens..either way I do not hear them as much....

5. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I find that my Bantam hens are more quiet especially my d'Anvers (and yes, Silkies are pretty quiet hens also). My Brahma hens are the noisiest. All of my roosters are abnoxious at times [​IMG]

There are exceptions to every rule.

6. Pam_x

Pam_x Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    I brought my two for the back yard thinking chickens were quite lol but i must have very undertanding neighbours or deaf ones lol

7. duck15

duck15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    i live in a village (city) and if i buy a rooster/hen will the neighbors hear them cause if they do they wont allow me to have chickens/rooster they will tell the head of the village.
    i own some ducks and the neighbors dont hear them

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chickens are noisy, it's their nature. One chicken by itself may be more noisy than a small flock as it will 'call' for flockmates.

9. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Quote:Yes, I am sitting here right now listening to the morning egg songs. It sounds like howler monkeys at the zoo! [​IMG] However, I agree with other posts on this thread, some bantams can be quieter.

10. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    I have 5 Black Sex Link chickens.They are in with 4 Production Reds.The Black Sex Link are very quiet.You hear them slightly when I feed them,but when I go down to watch them they are quiet also.I hear them when squalk they are setting their pecking order and 1 gets where she's not suppose to be.Other than that I don't hear them.Good Luck:cd

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by