1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are chickens sensitive to sound

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wilhiteranch, Jun 13, 2011.

1. wilhiteranch

wilhiteranch Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Rocklin
    This is probably a stupid question but i have to ask. I have my pullets out back now during the day and I'm in desperate need to mow the lawn. Will the mower scare the chickens?

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    The mower will scare them. Mine freak out but they just hide & come back later.Maybe leave them in the coop till your done. Its been so dry here there's no lawn to cut.

3. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Don't have alot of experience other than the last few weeks here in Ohio of cutting grass with chickens......mine are terrified and run for shelter,and hide untill it leaves the area!!! They don't mind it as long as it is NO WHERE near them...LOL Poor things the first time...thought they were going to have little chciken heart attacks...

4. uncouth chicken

uncouth chicken New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    yeah they'll be scared but if they get used to the sound now that their young they'll be less afraid of it and so on.
    but if your afraid that the sound will heart the ears just move the chicks out of there into a basement or something

5. dfclimber

dfclimber Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    North of Boston,MA
    to my surprise my chickens are quite interested and not scared of my lawn mower (which is loud to the point where I wear ear protection)

6. ronikins

ronikins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    Most of mine freak out and run to hide. There are a few brave (or stupid) ones that seem to not notice and can get in the way. The other day, Freddie, our rooster saw this. He then proceeded to challenge the mower to defend his lady that had wondered into the path of my riding mower [​IMG]

They know that afterwards, there are lots of yummy treats hoppin around. So they are usually right on my tail after the mower is off, picking up the carnage left by the mower.

7. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Mine are not the least bit afraid of the mower (riding) and follow it closely to get bugs and such from the cut discharge. Not to mention they only move out of the way when I am almost right on top of them. The ONLY time the girls will cross over a fence into a neighbor's yard is when they are mowing. So now, none of my neighbors mow when the girls are out on the acreage or along the 4' fence between my acreage and their yards. They have seen what an attraction that is for them. Don't want to hurt any...they get eggs too!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  8. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I'm not sure about mowers yet (it's too hot and dry to mow here in El Paso) - but we've been routinely running a tile saw (VERY LOUD) on our back porch and the chickens have grown used to it to the point they'll be right under it and don't leave!

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    If I have my cell phone with me, when it rings, they run for cover....!

10. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'll be mowing the lawn this week for the first time since we got our girls about 7 weeks ago (not much rain here, so thankfully no need to mow). I don't think the noise will bother them though, because their coop and run is on the street side of our backyard and they never seem to mind when the garbage truck rumbles past barely 3 metres from their run, or the street sweeper, or the noise from the 747's as they thunder overhead nice and low (we live on the flight path).

Oh I wish we could move to the country! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by