Are Chickens Smart Enough To Eat The Snow??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickie Mamma, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I keep going out to thaw their water, but in this "BLIZZARD" are they smart enough to eat the snow if their water freezes overnight?? The heated dog dish is not doing too well! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    You don't want them to eat snow anyway.
    It will lower their core temp. and they won't be well off.

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Mine eat the snow if its in a container but won't eat it on the ground [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I don't know if they're smart enough to eat the snow, but I have been told by backpacking instructor types that you're *not* supposed to eat snow if you're thirsty in a snow storm. They claim that it takes too much energy to turn the snow into water -- it ends up being a net loss of liquid from your body if you eat snow. It always seemed weird to me, but I've heard it from a bunch of different Wilderness First Aid-certified people that have otherwise been trustworthy.

If the chickens were smart enough to squat on the snow, use their bum-heat to make it into water, and drink that... now that might help them out [​IMG]

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:How do they have access to snow overnight? Are they not in a coop snug and warm?

6. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Good Points!! I am going back out to put some more water in their dish!! Thanks.. [​IMG]

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    When my birds water freezes before I replace it again, they eat the snow.

8. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Every time I go into the coop there constantly pecking at the snow on my boots...

9. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Living With Chickens by Jay Rossier :

One of my neighbors, after years of breaking out ice, decided his bantams could get all their water in the winter from eating snow.

The book then states that it is rather unconventional.

I don't think that i would rely on them eating enough snow completely though​

10. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Mine eat snow all the time, even if their water hasn't frozen yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by