Are chickens smart enough to learn from scolding?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sillybirds, Nov 26, 2008.

1. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    I have on occasion seen my favorite chicken, Little the Delaware, pluck a feather from another chicken. Little seems to be a very smart and curious chicken, and a vigorous pecker in general. I have read a lot on here about what you're supposed to do to stop feather picking and I am addressing those issues . . . My question now specifically is, are chickens smart enough to learn from scolding. That is, if I see one in the act, will they learn not to do so if I say "no" and maybe push them away. Or will they just learn to be wary of me [​IMG] .

What do you think?

2. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    yes or at least mine are, but you have to but a little force behind it. you can't just say no. like i will do two things.

1- first warning i run up clapping saying no bad chickens and they learn that if i clap they better stop what they are doing .

2- if one does not work which it does with the hens but my roo needs a little more force sometimes i grab the hose and turn it on low and i spray my roo on the back or feet never the face and i tell him sternly no but usually me just turning the hose on makes them stop.

have fun and be very stern with them.

Crazy C

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Nope, chickens have the ability to never forget, and they do learn alot ....however, in my opinion they don't have the ability to reason?

Chickens are gentle fowl, and work well in that environment.

bigzio

4. 55885100

55885100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    my chickensno what they are and arnt aloud to do and run when i catch then so they no not do it but do it any way whenthey think im not watching

5. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    my poor recently deceased rooster blackie did..
    he used to do his little dance and try to jump on me but i started keeping this old broom (i named it my blackie broom [​IMG] ) by the back door and if he tried anything i would swat him on the butt and he finally turned into one of the sweetest roosters i have ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2008
  6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    This thread tickles my funny bone . . . you have to pardon me [​IMG].

Sillybirds wants to know if, maybe, they aren't really silly.

Crazychicken runs at them, scolding, and clapping her hands.

Bigzio says, "No, they're just Big Zeroes!" (Okay, I know that Zio is Italian for “Uncle” and not “Zero.” [​IMG])

55885100 has got them "trained by the numbers."

Motherof5boys1girl has a special broom for the boys - don't I remember that broom, Mom?

LOL!!

I scold them shaking my finger at them, usually for being noisy. The birds keep lowering their heads and the sounds get softer until, usually, they stop. The birds stare at me for awhile and often go back to making noise once they've forgotten. That would be in about 3 minutes, unless they find something more interesting to do with themselves.

I think they can be trained or maybe they've trained me to think so [​IMG].

Steve's digits [​IMG]
    edited to say, this tickles my funny bone - it isn't a silly question and I believe you may be able to discourage the bad behavior. I hope no one takes offense. You all just made me smile . . .

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  7. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    [​IMG]

8. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    They're smart enough for behavioral conditioning...be it positive or negative

Examples: running to you when you appear because you frequently produce food...they see me as the gravy train. Running from you when they see the net catcher in your hand...maybe they think I need more exercise

Be careful, like dogs they can make associations that you might not think you are fostering. My first rooster would come up on the deck rail outside the bedroom, look in the door and crow. If I didn't come out in a timely manner he would move to the step right outside the door and continue his crowing until I appeared. I guess he was checking to make sure all of his 'flock' was present and accounted for.

9. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Thanks for the opinions!

I'm still not sure whether that look in Little's eyes when she cocks her head and looks at me after I've scolded her is a knowing look or just a puzzled look.

That's funny digitS'! I'm probably the silly one for trying to figure these creatures out [​IMG] .

10. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:No you're not . . .

They are silly birds but I'd sure hate to try to stay on their case until bad behavior is changed. May not require heavy commitment - don't know.

It may work. Anyone who has had chickens for awhile has taught them to not sleep in nests, for example. I find it easier to teach them good things to do like: Isn't this a nice roost? You really need to lay an egg, look the nest box is a wonderful place, see?

Steve

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by