1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Chickens Smart Enough to Stay Out of the Weather?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ElyseWilson, Oct 30, 2012.

1. ElyseWilson

ElyseWilson New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    A question for you experienced chicken farmers: We're enjoying our first year with egg layers. (We have 14 Rhode Island Red and 14 Plymouth Rock.) I'm starting to notice, however, that they don't always stay in the coop when it's raining or stormy. Should I be keeping them in for their own good, or do they have enough sense to stay safe in all kinds of weather?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens have always gone in by themselves for bad weather. I think I read somewhere, that somebody elses weren't.. I think that is rare..

Mine have two doors to get in, if that makes a difference?

We have have had meat birds and turkeys not smart enough to go in though..

My breeds I have had or have now are, mainly all duel purpose birds. Including plymoth rocks and RIR.

Hopefully someone else will chime in..

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Mine love the rain because the ground get moist and it is easier for them to dig for bugs and worms, but when it snows or hails they go into the coop! The have been like that for a long time I think your will be fine! [​IMG]

Good Luck!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. yolka doodle

yolka doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    Essex, England
    Hi, i am new too. My chickens stay out in the rain, i try not to let them get too wet late in the day as i worry they are wet going to bed, prob sounds nuts but i probably am. There is not much shelter other than their house so i have put a large umbrella up before but they just walk around it. i was thinking of making a little shelter in the garden for them because i think they think if they go in their house i will shut the door and play time is over. :)

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    During heavy rain events they will seek cover. If event not too severe, then hunger will push them to forage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by