Are chickens social?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nina Bee, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Nina Bee

Nina Bee Chirping

Aug 27, 2016
    Had 3 chickens at the start of winter. One passed we think due to below freezing temps. We just lost our second about 3 weeks ago, we think a hawk got her. Now our one and only seems a bit off. Almost depressed. She isn't laying. doesn't go in her coop at night, and is hanging out on our deck instead of grazing all day. We can't get any new chicks for a while because we are in the middle of a move. Is she lonely? Will she survive? She's acting really bizarre and I'm worried.

m1chelle1 and Chicks 'n ducks like this.
  2. feedman77

feedman77 Crowing

Jun 10, 2013
    She is depressed and lonely.
    Will she survive yes.
    Would she be better with company yes I believe so.

If possible could you find another adult hen instead of chicks to give her company

3. LoveDatChickenLife

LoveDatChickenLife Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    I do have a rooster I’m looking to get rid of. But I’m afraid if you only have a rooster one hen then he would pick on her too much...

4. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    In a word, Yes. They are very social. Your chicken is lonely. You need to get her some pals. If you get chicks, make sure to brood them separately and then integrate them when they are older, as you won't be able to put chicks in with her. She'll probably kill them.

m1chelle1 and LoveDatChickenLife like this.
  5. LoveDatChickenLife

LoveDatChickenLife Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    Yes she would kill them from pecking order, and also sometimes they peck each out of pure boredom.

6. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    The Great PNW
    Poor baby! Yes, im sure she is very lonely and sad that she has lost her family. Chickens are VERY social and they like to be a part of a flock, I would highly recommend getting her some adult hens as some company. Id read up on this site about integration, there is a safe way to do this. Let me see if I can find any articles or threads for you.

Good Luck :hugs

kumquat likes this.
  7. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    The Great PNW
    kumquat likes this.
  8. SeramaMamma

SeramaMamma Songster

Jul 12, 2017
    Idaho
    Yes they are very social critters.