1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are chickens stupid enough to stick their head in?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by klf73, Jun 10, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have my beagles(2) kenneled in a large kennel 30x20. What I need to know is do I have to put hardware cloth on the outside to keep the chickens from sticking their head in? I haven't even let them smell the chicks yet. My youngest is a boy just over 1 yr. and he mouths everything he comes across, I'm afraid if a chicken sees a bug in the kennel he might just break it's neck if it sticks it's head in. He's kinda goofy with strong instincts so I'm not sure and am playing it safe and just keeping them separate. So what do you think, hardware cloth or not?
    Krista

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Mine do, they stick their little head through the chain link to my backyard. Luckily they just get sniffed and not grabbed!

3. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Yeah, they probably would.

I'm [​IMG] b/c I thought you meant your youngest child was a 1yr old boy and I was picturing a tot mouthing a chick. [​IMG]

I needa go to bed.

4. plapczynski

plapczynski Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    I ran a very heavy field fence with 2"x4" holes. I ran electric fence around the outside to keep predators away. I ended up running a 2 foot high chicken wire around the inside mainly because the chickens kept sticking their heads out the holes and getting shocked!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by