Are chickens this smart? (pics)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by M To The Maxx, Aug 6, 2009.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Are chickens really smart? Because in one of my runs my are chickens digging up something like a trench. Right now in the summer time we get a lot of rain in Florida so I think they are building a small trench to get all of the water. Are chickens that smart? Here are some pictures of the small trench around the run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  2. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Songster

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    My chickens do the same thing all along the fencing. I always figured that the soil was a little looser there so they liked to dig at it getting bugs or making holes for dust baths. Who knows, maybe they are trying to keep dry! [​IMG]

3. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Songster

Jun 29, 2009
    My chickens scratch around in the mud more than in the dirt, and if we always had mud along one fence, there would likely be a trough there soon enough. Also, they look for bugs, and bugs are more likely to hide or ESCAPE under the wood fencing, so the chickens, knowing the bugs are there, will scratch there to try to drive them out into the open.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Fill up the holes with gravel and pack it down good. It will prevent them from scratching in the corners as much. They are not trying to dig out, so don't worry.

5. Peaguy

Peaguy Songster

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Mine do the same thing. They prefer to dust bathe along the fence, I think they use the fencing as "support" something to push against to get better traction to help loosen up the hard soil. My entire coop and run has an "internal" trench around the inside edges.

6. Kezzie

Kezzie Songster

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    In my tractor, that's where the bugs accumulate so they like to dig them out. Then they dustbathe in the loose soil they've dug up.

7. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Quote:Mine do the same

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Thanks for all of the info!!!!

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think they are trying to escape and take over the world.[​IMG]

10. Is that their run or a tractor? Can you move it to get them out of the mud? I'm afraid you're going to have a bad cause of coccidiosis if they stay in that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: