Are chicks even remotly likely to give me diseases like salmonella?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Roosterboy, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    We were in the dentists office today and guess what my mom happened to find? An article all about turtles, lizards, and chicks

At first this sounded good but it turned out to be completely about how they can give you salmonella and herpes.

Now whenever i bring up chicks she says something like "they'll make you sick"

Well, i was wondering if this was a concern. Some type of statistic or reason for this article would be great too.

I am counting on you guys or i won't be getting any spring chicken this year!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    If you unsure I would always disenfect your hands after handling any animal. I have handled a lot of chicks and never got sick as well as adult birds, but this just me.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    tell your mum "I'm constantly handling them to build my immunity".

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    In order to get sick from salmonella:

You would have to lick 10 broiler carcasses and eat 2 lbs. of soiled litter. Unless you're willing to do that...then no worries! lol!

5. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:Um....Uh oh!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    I have an immune suppressed 5 year old who still sucks her thumb and "forgets" to use soap to wash her hands after handling the chickens that she has raised from day old hatchlings last spring.

So far, no salmonella or herpes.

*crosses fingers*

7. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    There is a remote possibility of getting salmonella from chickens. If you eat their droppings or put the chicks in your mouth it is possible you will develop salmonella poisoning.

8. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My cousin has raised chickens for 22 years and kisses everyone she comes in contact with. She is still kicking..LOL

9. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    There is a "remote possibility" of disease, parasites, injury etc., etc., from interacting with ANY animal!!!!!!! Dogs, cats, bunnies, horses, parrots, rattlesnakes, and yep, CHICKS...

It's important to keep it in perspective, though... a LOT of articles you read can be a bit, ummmm, alarmist (to say the least!), and common sense combined with reasonable hygenic practices go a LONG WAY in keeping one safe and healthy.

Soooooooo.... wash your hands after handling chicks (or ANY animal!) and don't eat chicken poo! [​IMG]

Oh, and stay away from peanut butter... I hear its far riskier as far as salmonella goes.. [​IMG]

10. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Yes there is a "remote" possibility. I think it would be in poor judgement to say you cannot get it. Two trains of thought though, one - always wash your hands after handling birds and their eggs. Two - think of all the people, even the people here at BYC, that has birds and are still healthy. I would think you have a better chance of getting struck by lightening. Remember, good hygene and enjoy your birds.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by