Are Chinese Geese always so loud?

Faldaste

Hatching
Jun 18, 2016
Massachusetts
Yesterday we added a female Chinese goose to our small flock of chickens and runner ducks. Everyone is getting along fine BUT the goose has been extremely vocal. This morning she called for hours without stopping. Is this something that is likely to continue? Our neighbors are quite close and not happy I'm sure!

welcome-byc.gif
Did she have a mate at her previous home? If so, she may be calling for him. In my experience, Chinese geese are quite vocal, but she should calm down somewhat once she adjusts to her new home.

Okay. I guess she was one of three geese and was with one gander so perhaps it is about a mate? Sad! Will she recover from the heartbreak? She was a bit quieter this afternoon but now that it is evening she's wandering around the yard calling pretty much nonstop again.

The pair bond in geese can be quite strong. I once saw a road killed Canada goose on the side of the road. The gander stayed with her for 4 days. On the fifth day he was gone.

Yesterday we added a female Chinese goose to our small flock of chickens and runner ducks. Everyone is getting along fine BUT the goose has been extremely vocal. This morning she called for hours without stopping. Is this something that is likely to continue? Our neighbors are quite close and not happy I'm sure!

In general, Chinese Geese are the most vocal of the bunch. There are different temperament of each individual as well. I've had some Chinese Geese that were noisy and some that were quiet.

I've tried raising some goslings with loud ones and most of them turn out to be loud as well so I guess they also learn certain behaviors too. I've had a group that would always honk back if another goose honked so once it gets started they keep chaining back and forth. If they were separated (couldn't see each other) or someone was talking far away, they would start honking as well to let each other know of their location. I've had one goose that would always talk very loud and honking every other night all night when she was due for an egg. Her mate, the gander would constantly reply back to her in a loud way (honking). At first, I thought she was just excited to be laying eggs and hoped she would mellow out after a while. Nope, first year, second year the same, then third year I decided to rehome them.

And then I let one of my Muscovy duck raise a gosling. She turned out to be the most well-mannered, gentle, quiet Chinese I've had. I guess she wanted to be a Muscovy (which don't quack) and are pretty quiet.

I've also let a pair of pretty quiet Brown Chinese adopt the babies from the very loud parents I've rehomed. Those turned out to be pretty quiet as well.

Last edited:
It might continue and she might calm down. There's really no way to know for sure. As another reply said, that pair bond is very strong so she may be missing her friends or mate. My Chinese female is usually pretty quiet until she sees me, then she makes ten kinds of noise to convince me to pet her. The gander is a little louder but he acts basically the same. Spoiled children! Maybe a little extra attention for her until she adjusts to the new environment?

Back
Top Bottom