1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Christmas trees chicken safe????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NJfarmer, Dec 29, 2007.

1. NJfarmer

NJfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    New Jersey and Maine
    Im getting rid of my christmas tree can I put it in the chicken run so they can play with it or will it harm there health?

2. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    I personally wouldn't put it in because it would get sap on them. I really don't know if it would harm them any...??

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    well you use pine shaving for them because cedar is bad. Got a wood chipper?

4. NJfarmer

Jul 28, 2007
    New Jersey and Maine
    no i dont have a wood chipper i just wanted to throw the whole tree so that they have something to climb on

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Is there a way you can cut off all the branches with a chainsaw and then put the log in there? You can also see how much sap is on it before you throw it in

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It should be fine if you don't worry about sticky chickens. For fun mine climb up a bushy cedar tree branch by branch and roost for an hour or so a day.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Christmas trees are treated with flame retardants these days, even the ones on the chop your own tree farms. I don't know how bad the chemicals are that they use, I just know they use them.

8. NJfarmer

Jul 28, 2007
    New Jersey and Maine
    Quote:I guess thats a no i don't want my chickens near chemicals

9. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i think they would love tree to run around on and hide in. what a great idea. mine love any fallen logs and branches.

10. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    My hens have 2 blue spruce in their yard. They jump up into them and roost. They have chewed off the lower branches and needles. They hide under them. They dust under them. I think they like them.
    --bjcoop [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by