Are cinnamon Queens sex linked?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MartinsPoultry, Mar 16, 2018.

1. I got two Cinnamon Queens about two weeks ago and I see a big difference already. One has longer wing feathers and no comb growth and the other has shorter wing feathers and comb growth.
    Is my assumption correct and that is I have a young Cockerel and a young Pullet?
    pictures were hard holding back four other baby birds.
    IMG_20180316_103237.jpg IMG_20180316_103304.jpg

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yes, cinnamon queens are sex links. Neither of the chicks shown is a male cinnamon Queen.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Cinnamon queens are sex-links. You sex them by coloring/feathering not but growth. Where did you get yours? They don't look like Cinnamon queens (red sex-links) to me.

4. TSC

drumstick diva likes this.
  5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Yes they are sexlinked. I don't think you have Cinnamon Queens there.

6. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Crowing

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    You do not have CQs. Pullets are reddish and cockerels are white at hatching. I would guess you ended up with brown Leghorn.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I thought they liked odd as well, but photos from the hatchery sight show chipmunk marked chicks with gender differentiated base color in the down. Pattern must be from parent stock in the specific' recipe' for these RSL (going back to proprietary lines used for each producers sex links).
    I'd like to see how they feather out in the next few weeks

8. alexa009

alexa009 Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Cinnamon queens are known as red sexlinks, red stars, golden comets, hybrids, golden sexlinks and more..

9. Ugh not more brown leghorns. I sold mine because she was too much trouble and wouldnt stay in the run and yard.

Better Than Rubies likes this.
  10. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Close.....red sex links are known by those names, including cinnamon queen. Each is a proprietary name used by producers for the specific lines used for that specific version of the red sex link. Because they're are many combinations that can be used for the sex link result (gold over silver) the resulting chicks will have the basic color differentiation by gender but may have variance in pattern beyind that depending on the parent breeds used. While often used interchangeably, the proprietary names actually aren't interchangeable due to the specifucity of the lines used to produce each at the commercial level. Red sex link is the universally applicable term for all of them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: