Are citronella plants posinous to ducks and chickens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by winteree, Apr 1, 2015.

1. winteree

winteree Chillin' With My Peeps

Well after getting payed i bought 6 full grown citronella plants to combat the blood suckers this year. I haven't planted them yet as i wanted to use them in a hydroponic system\filter i'm making but what i want to know is are these plants toxic to ducks i caught one trying to eat a leaf and i got it from her and rinsed her mouth out with water. I wanted these plants to be involved in the filter system but not if it's going to harm my birds or us as we eat their eggs as well. The chickens could care less about the plants but i can't find any info on it anyone know?

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    My ducks have nibbled on then but mainly just pull the leaves off. I can't imagine they taste good! As far as I know they are safe but they did nothing for those nasty little blood sucker mosquitoes!

3. winteree

winteree Chillin' With My Peeps

that nice to know I planted them and took 15 cuttings if everything goes well I should have the plants lining the fence by the end of the year

4. Zackman23434

Zackman23434 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    Citronella plants do nothing for mosquito. In fact it's not even the same citronella oil that is marketed for repellents which there is also no evidence for mosquito control.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by