Are cochins supposed to be a friendly breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moochie, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I think mine hate me. I've had them for a month and a half now, they were so little and cute!
    I think they are a beautiful breed, I plan on keeping them. But they don't like me. They don't let me pet them, or hold them. I have a alot of pullets, and one cockerell. They're giant blue cochins, a few black and the roo is white with grey spots. So the roo is almost 15 weeks, while the girls are around 12 weeks. When I first bought them, the roo was 6 weeks and the girls were 4 weeks. I spend alot of time with them. But when I come into the run they all run away [​IMG]
    I recently bought a few more younger girls and some new hampshire reds. The nhr's love me! They jump onto my lap and use me as a roost ^.^ My older hens used to ther same when they were young. I can hand feed the little ones too! I can hand feed the cochins too, but they're skiddish and they peck too hard. One of the black ones broke the skin before.
    I give them treats and I try to show them that I'm good by having the older hens jump on my back and petting the hens, but they don't respond to that. However they do respond when I am able to pick one of them up and the one I pick up reacts like I'm hurting it, by making loud screeching noises and flapping it's wings. Once that happens I noticed they all stop and stare.
    What am I doing wrong? Did I just get the wrong breed?

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Some chickens are just more skittish regardless of the breed- my girls were pretty scared of me- so I started just sitting in the coop and reading, then bringing treats with me to feed them. they still don't like to be held- but they will run to me and follow me around the yard now- they are much, much friendlier than they used to be. Just keep trying and hopefully they will come around. Good luck!

3. xwingo

xwingo New Egg

Nov 8, 2010
    I agree with Allieloves chickens, I have a cochin that loves to just hang around me and peck lighty at me but doesn't really like to be held.... I just hang out a lot and let them hang out around me without touching them. I have also noticed I get a lot more attention when I sit down with them instead of in a chair or up higher than them.[​IMG]

4. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I don't have cochins but when my chicks were the same age as yours they wanted NOTHING to do with me at all. Then right before they started laying they got friendly again. None of them LIKE being held but they will follow me around, eat out of my hand and two of them will jump in my lap to say 'hi'.

Maybe your girls will come around when they get a little older and start acting friendly again.

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I have noticed the same thing. My pullets were somewhat friendly when they were little, then as they got bigger they got skittish. My Ameraucanas would practically run away from me when I approached the coop (I got them as older pullets). When they would free range they would scatter at the sight of me. Now all of them come running towards me when I come out. First because they think I might have a treat for them and second, I think "maturity" and being familliar with me has helped. When I walk around doing my chores, if there is a chicken in my way I walk slower and talk to them so that they know I am not a threat. Now they will just stand there and let me walk around them or will just take a few steps out of the way. I don't think any of these pullets will ever be lap chickens but I am happy that they are not scared of me any more and do come running up to me. I think chickens are like any other animal, they will have different personalities no matter what the breed.

6. Oscgrr

Oscgrr Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    Cape Cod
    In the beginning, I tried to pet and pick up my chickens but no so much lately because I don't like getting pooped on. It's important to be able to pick up and examine them should the need arise and the less fuss they make the better but don't sweat it if they "hate you," they'll get over it. I have Barred Rocks, RI Reds, Easter Eggers and a couple of mutts that are all within a couple of weeks (age) of each other. They all recieved the same attention starting from when they were about three days old and now they're six and a half months old and they each have very different behavior characteristics divided by breed. The BRs and the mutts are absolutely the friendliest of the bunch and love to be picked up while the EEs are just beginning to come around while the RIRs seem to have a little social club that I'm not part of. It's likely relevant to mention that the BRs and the mutts are laying now while tha EEs are showing signs of starting and the RIRs still have a way to go. My experience is that once the squatting begins and the eggs start coming the birds are far friendlier. Give 'em time and treats and don't force yourself on them and they'll come around.

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I have Blues, Golden Laced, Birchen and Buff cochins. My Golden Laced and Blues are very friendly. The other two are kind of stand offish. I didn't treat any of them any different than the others, just those two types seem more friendly to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by