Are Cochins too Broody if you don't want new chicks?

JenniferC

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
I can't have a rooster and we probably won't be wanting any chicks (at least not often at all)- so would it be a big mistake to get a cochin? Anyone else have cochins a part of a very small flock with no plans to hatch any chicks?

I have bantam cochins. They started to lay a 5 months and started sitting eggs at 6 mo. and have not stopped. I have to put them in a wire rabbit cage to break their broodiness. I had 2 sit the same nest in Feb when temps were in the single digits and below. They hatched out 10 little chicks. If I take the chicks from a hen she will find more eggs to sit and hatch them out too. I have 2 bators going all the time but WHY? I have 2 hens and chicks in the barn now and 2 hens sitting eggs. I just took a hen out of the rabbit cage that had hatched 2 sets of eggs and was ready to start on the third. Well, have I answered your question? I have to admit though, I have never had a standard cochin. I don't know if they are as bad as bantam.

Quote:
Oh, I think they probably are.

I ordered 2 BR's and 2 cochins, planning to give 2 away if they all live. Right now we have a BR and a brahma. We love em both, though the BR is healthier. Now faced with the reality of chicken care, a simple sturdy dependable laying breed like Barred Rocks sound very nice. Cochins might be sweety, but I don't know if I'm prepared to deal with broodiness all the time.

i have btm and std and have to say the btm are more perisitant at brooding but std's brood very well too but if you cant have a rooster you cant have chicks:/

Back
Top Bottom