Are Cooper Maran eggs that much darker than other brown eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HeadRhino, Jan 16, 2011.

1. HeadRhino

HeadRhino New Egg

Jan 16, 2011
    Been looking to purchase some Marans. Are they really darker than other eggs? We sell our extra eggs and thought they would add fun colors. Then looked on ebay and the eggs looked the same as my brown eggs.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Don't buy from ebay, you never know what you're going to get. Buy from the auction thread on here. Yes, their eggs are WAY darker, BUT if you get hatchery birds, your chances of plain ol' brown eggs increases dramatically. Buy from a private breeder with good stock, you won't be sorry! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  3. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    [​IMG] HeadRhino!

If you could give us a general idea of your location or state, maybe we can help you find a breeder that is close to you.
    [​IMG]

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Ask to see pictures of the eggs the birds are laying NOW. Alot of people show pics of dark eggs but if you look back they are showing the same pics for the last couple years. To answer your question quality Marans eggs are very dark. Key word quality. These are some pics that we have taken of our eggs from Cuckoo and Black Copper Marans. The ones with the magazine were sold on ebay and we used that as a date stamp to show that the eggs were current.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yup, those are some dark eggs.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're WAY darker than other eggs. These are some of mine, right beside normal (just the shells though) brown eggs and white eggs. . . .

[​IMG]

The trick is to actually obtain dark laying stock. Avoid hatcheries for one, and another is to ask for pics of the breeder's eggs.

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Look at my avatar. That is from my darkest laying hen, Cheepa, the once runt of the litter lol. BCM eggs can range from not so dark to extremely dark so just make sure you see the eggs that you are buying or the eggs that the hens laid that you buy, if you are buying mature hens. Some of the blue coppers and wheatens will lay dark also.

8. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I have 2 hatchery birds and their eggs are darker than my brown layers but not of the very dark quality.

9. greenacresgrl

greenacresgrl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    WHEW HOOO![​IMG]

Just searched for some Maran's hatching eggs and this thread came up!
    I've looked for a couple pullets for over a year and give up...unless Steve would need to downsize in NC:D
    My daughter started her own egg business...and really like to add some chocolate eggs!
    Add me to the hatching list...

Kim NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by