Are cornish rocks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Poultrybonkers, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Suppose to be as big as a standard chicken at 8 weeks? Mine seem pretty small still considering there be 8 weeks next week.

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Do you have pics? They should be considerably larger than standard breeds from about 1 wk. old on up. At 8 wks. they should be the size of an adult standard breed.

3. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I got Cornish Rocks the same day I got some regular pullets (Rhode Island Reds). They are 3.5 weeks old now, and the Cornish Rocks are more than TWICE the size of the RIRs.

Do you have some pictures you can show? Or maybe weigh a few and tell us?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Apparently you didn't get cornish cross. At eight weeks, they're ready to butcher and dress out at five pounds or so. Maybe you've got leghorns? Pics will help.

5. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011
    I got amberlinks the day i got them there twice the size of them i mean are they suppose to be the same size as a fun grown standard breed at 8 weeks ill be posting pics later.

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

it all depends on how much you feed them.. if you give them as much food as they will eat 24/7 they will grow faster and get to butcher size at 6 to 10 weeks (depending on if you want fryers, broilers ect.).

however if you restrict their feed they will grow much slower and will not be at butchering size at 8 weeks

many people who want to try to keep some of the cornish X as pets or as future breeders (yes I know they don't breed "true" but there are some people here who have added them into their breeding programs) will restrict their feed and allow them to have more exercise (free ranging) to help keep stress off their joints and heart. Their birds do not grow as fast as someone who is feeding them for growth and to get them to butcher size in the standard 8 weeks.
    I know there are several threads here on the subject

7. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by