Are correct humidity levels impossible for winter in Michigan?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by taprock, Jan 31, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Songster

Nov 1, 2010
    Northern L.P. Michigan
    I put together an incubator of the five dollar variety. The temp is working great but I can't get the humidity above 32%. The whole bottom of the incubator is a tray that is filled with water covered by a plastic screen tray. I also have a wet sponge directly under the fan. Are there any other options for increasing the humidity? To give you an idea our humidity level in the house is at 27% with our humidifier running it can get up to 37% but when it is off goes back to the 27%. Can you have a successful hatch with low humidity? I have this week to get it figured out because we started saving eggs today.

2. Quote:I run 30-35% RH for the first 18 days so I think for the first 18 you are ok. Have you tried adding a sponge with a very large surface area to see if you can get it up to 60-65% for days 19-21? Also, do you have vent(s) that perhaps you can close one or two of to contain the humidity?

3. taprock

taprock Songster

Nov 1, 2010
    Northern L.P. Michigan
    I have everything closed up pretty tight now. I have thought about hanging a sponge on the side so the air can circulate around it but I've never seen that done.

4. Quote:Well....you need to be sure you have air flow. Humidity will increase with the amount of SURFACE AREA you expose. Might help if you can take a pix of your setup and post it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by