Are correct humidity levels impossible for winter in Michigan?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by taprock, Jan 31, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I put together an incubator of the five dollar variety. The temp is working great but I can't get the humidity above 32%. The whole bottom of the incubator is a tray that is filled with water covered by a plastic screen tray. I also have a wet sponge directly under the fan. Are there any other options for increasing the humidity? To give you an idea our humidity level in the house is at 27% with our humidifier running it can get up to 37% but when it is off goes back to the 27%. Can you have a successful hatch with low humidity? I have this week to get it figured out because we started saving eggs today.

2. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:I run 30-35% RH for the first 18 days so I think for the first 18 you are ok. Have you tried adding a sponge with a very large surface area to see if you can get it up to 60-65% for days 19-21? Also, do you have vent(s) that perhaps you can close one or two of to contain the humidity?

3. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I have everything closed up pretty tight now. I have thought about hanging a sponge on the side so the air can circulate around it but I've never seen that done.

4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:Well....you need to be sure you have air flow. Humidity will increase with the amount of SURFACE AREA you expose. Might help if you can take a pix of your setup and post it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by