Are crabapples safe for goats to eat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by stilwellchick, Jul 18, 2008.

1. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    Do they need to be cut up first? Is it okay for kids to eat them? We have tons and I have been taking them to the woods for the deer.

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I know someone with pygmy goats and they eat crabapples, sometimes right off the tree.
    You can also make preserves from them.
    As kids, we used to have mighty crabapple wars in our neighborhood - lots of fun!
    If you have a somewhat iron stomach and don't mind trotting to the bathroom frequently the next day, some people say they make tasty pies. I'm not a big fan of cooked apples in general, so I have no personal experience in that one. [​IMG]

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I've been wondering the same thing. Mine have been eating them for months now. Seem to be doing fine!

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I have three large crabapple trees near my goats and we feed them to them all the time as a treat. The kids generally don't eat them...

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yep, no oak and no cherry though, no matter what!

6. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I would be very careful not to give too much. Goats can get bloat very easily. As long as you have bloat treatment onhand I'd say you'd be ok. I'd just watch how much they eat and keep an eye on them afterwards. They have a tendency to have eyes bigger than their stomachs! At least mine do. It can also make for some pretty messy stalls and hindends if you know what I mean. [​IMG]

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:moderation in everything with goats!

8. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    moderation in everything with goats!

I am still wondering where on earth the myth came from that goats can and will eat anything, have cast iron stomachs, the whole tin can theory. Mine are super picky, very demanding and I learned the hard way to just leave their diet simple and as consistent as possible.​

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yep, i don't know either...my neighbors just told me, 'You don't want goats...my brother had them and they ate plastic and got on the car..." UMMM...why was there plastic with the goats and why are they on the car. it isn't always the animal to blame, we are given charge over them and watch we should. i like your consistent and simple ideas! i am storing that one for myself!

there are some breeds of goat who wont even eat a leaf another goat has licked. sounds smart to me! i used to be a clown, 14 yrs! people always wanted me to blow up balloons with my mouth, not a pump. 'cheating'. i usually asked them if they would want me to pass my gum to them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by