are cracked eggs ok to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bassfishrman, Dec 28, 2007.

1. bassfishrman

bassfishrman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    I have one hen who is determined to step on her egg after she lays it. It leaves a dent in it and I am wondering if it is ok to eat if I keep it in the fridge.

2. nu2chixinmo

nu2chixinmo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2007
    Sturgeon, MO
    I have before, with no ill effects............

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We will usually use it that day or the next if that were to happen, sometimes I might be the cause trying to pick up to many eggs in my hand and dropping one causing a dent.

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Only problem I had with a cold craked egg was the egg white and yolk where kind of frozen. But they are still good tasting

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I usually give it to the dogs or cats as a treat....especially if it comes out of the nest that way.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If the shell is cracked and the membrane is clean and intact, I will use it that day. If the egg is dirty and/or the membrane is compromised, I toss it. No need to take chances. There will be other eggs.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I've eaten fresh rubber eggs with no side effects...

8. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Well, I wish I had seen this yesterday :mad:

I picked an egg and it was cracked but the membrane was still intact. I cracked it and put it in the chicken food (making sure the chickens didn't see me do it) and mixed it all up...shell and all.

I'd normally eat the cracked egg/s the day I collected them without incident. However, recently a friend told me that it was a BIG no-no and that I'd been lucky not to get sick. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If the egg is clean and the membrane intact I will use them the same day.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Cracked, membrane intact, one day outside, I use it. Cracked egg from store, yeah right, I might poke that with a stick. It should be fine if it is a clean minor crack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by