Are cracked or thin shelled eggs edible?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Yay Chicks!, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    This has been an exciting week of first eggs. My BO has laid two, and my EEs have laid one each. (The BR is the hold out). The eggs from the BO and one of the EEs were perfect little eggs with strong shells. However, the other EE laid a light, pinkish colored egg with a crack at one end (I can see the membrane which appears to be intact) and a round rough patch in the middle where the shell appears to be possibly thinner yet. So, here's my question...I certainly don't have to eat this damaged egg, but is it edible since the membrane is intact, or has bacteria been introduced?
    I'm hoping that the thin shell situation will resolve itself. They are on Layena and have free choice oyster shell, although the one who laid the questionable egg doesn't appear to like the oyster shell much...

2. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Oh good question! I don't have a answer for you but... when I get a cracked egg I usally hard boil it. If it is really badly cracked or almost broken I just throw it away. I am interested in what others have to say. [​IMG]

3. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I wouldn't eat it, if I did boil it I would give it back to the chickens. Fav treat. Great thing is...........they'll lay another one tomorrow!

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    If the membrane is intact I put them in the fridge and eat myself. That includes the rare shelless egg with a membrane. Cooked fully.

If the membrane is broke I toss it out in the lot and watch the mayhem begin. That is the only time my birds will eat an egg.

Matt

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  5. Duramaxgirl

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Oh by the way... When I get cracked eggs that's when I know I need to add more pine shavings to the nest boxes. It helps to keep them from cracking, and I also collect eggs often... Or I guess I should say my kids do for me! [​IMG]

6. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Oh by the way... When I get cracked eggs that's when I know I need to add more pine shavings to the nest boxes. It helps to keep them from cracking, and I also collect eggs often... Or I guess I should say my kids do for me!

Oh, believe me, I'm stalking the nest box. But you're right about the shavings. I keep adding and they keep kicking them out!​

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If a membrane is really strong, and there' no shell, i usually scramble and feed to my dogs.

But if it's crack, and the membrane is good, i make a judgement call and usually eat it myself.

8. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    I used to eat the cracked eggs, too, as long as the membrane was intact. However, I brought one up one day a couple years ago that was cracked, membrane intact. Figured "it wouldn't matter, I'd done it before, I'm sure it's fine................." Cooked that baby up and enjoyed it more than any other.

Woke up that night with the worst case of food poisoning known to man (okay, maybe it wasn't "that" bad, but it was baaaaaad).

So, lesson learned...........the girls get the cracked ones, I take the rest.

9. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    So, lesson learned...........the girls get the cracked ones, I take the rest.

So, what keep the chickens from getting sick?​

10. Duramaxgirl

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Hey I'm curious... Is there any bacteria that can survive a hard boiling for 14 minuets?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by