Are crests dominant?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by taprock, Feb 17, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

If I have a crested roo and non hen or the opposite, what happens with chicks?

2. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

Quote:they would get Mohawks i believe

3. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Quote:You're likely to get a partially-crested bird.

4. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Have you ever seen silkie or polish crosses? A lot of people have pics of them. They usually have a little mohawk. Its never as big as a silkie or polish's crest though...

5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I crossed a polish roo with some of my Araucanas and all the chicks have crests and pretty big ones. 27 chicks out of 27 have crests.

Lanae

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    As said above. However, if your crested parent has a small crest as many hatchery Polish, Brabanters, Spitzhaubens, and hatchery Houdans and Sultans have, you're also likely to get smooth headed chicks, too.

This Easter Egger is 1/2 Polish, but has a normal head. The Polish parent had a poor crest.

[​IMG]

7. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    When you say big crests, do you mean like a regular polish or good quality silkie crest? Or about half of that? I usually see the crests the size of pet quality silkies..

8. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    My polish roos had big show crests, my araucanas had none of course. Of the offspring, the hens have little crests but definately there. The roos have not quite show crests but big poofy things. I will take a pic this weekend.

Lanae

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  9. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some mutts in the incubator now as a trial run. My roos are 1 EE, 3 Polish and 1 Crevecoeour. The hens that laid the eggs are 2 polish, 1 EE and 1 Production Red and 1 Cornish. I have no idea what mix I may end up with.

10. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    Some breeds do have smaller crests..sometimes called tassels....The Pyncheon has a small crest on the females and a tassel on the males. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by