Are cross' between two Duck breeds sterile?

eggboy

Songster
10 Years
Jan 23, 2010
CA
Are cross' between two Duck breeds sterile? I am considering getting some duckling from someone I know who has ducklings that are going to hatch soon. I believe the ducklings are a cross between Muscovies and I forget the other breed. Someone told me that they would be sterile, is that true? Also would these ducklings grow up to be good layers?

Muscovies crossed with any of the Mallard derivatives (all the other domesticated duck breeds) will produce sterile hybrids, yes. They are good for meat and may (or may not) lay eggs.

So you are saying that all of the domesticated duck breeds, except muscovies, are descended from mallards? So it does not matter what other breed you cross a muscovy with (unless it is another muscovy of course) the offspring will be sterile?

So you are saying that all of the domesticated duck breeds, except muscovies, are descended from mallards? So it does not matter what other breed you cross a muscovy with (unless it is another muscovy of course) the offspring will be sterile?

Yes crosses between all Mallard derived breeds will be fertile.

Thank you very much Quacker Jack Farms! Very informative website! So I hope that the ducklings that I am considering getting are hinnys (meaning the mother is a muscovy and the father some other breed). If it is the other way around and the father is muscovy and the mother another breed they will be mules, which do not lay eggs, and thus I would not be interested in them. Thanks for the great info!

Eggboy, if you are interested in eggs, I suggest that you pass on the free ducklings and purchase ducklings of an egg laying breed.

The initial purchase is nothing compared to the cost of raising and keeping the ducks and with a good egg laying breed, you will get lots of eggs to pay you back for the feed you buy.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Quacker Jack Farms! Very informative website! So I hope that the ducklings that I am considering getting are hinnys (meaning the mother is a muscovy and the father some other breed). If it is the other way around and the father is muscovy and the mother another breed they will be mules, which do not lay eggs, and thus I would not be interested in them. Thanks for the great info!
No problem. That question came up on another thread too. I would agree with Oregon Blues.

X2 Oregon Blues. I have some welsh harlequins, I get 3 eggs from my 3 hens everyday! Sometimes some are double yolked! They are laying better then my khaki campbells EVER did.

What breed do you recommend? Where should I get them? I saw some ducklings at tractor supply but they ran out now i think. Besides you had to buy four of them and I only want one or two. I have never had any ducks before, just chickens you see, so I just want to "try out" a duck or two and then maybe get some more next year. Also will ducks pick on or be picked on by my chickens? I have four RIR's and two banty's, all hens. Can they live in the same coop/run or will I have to build a seperate shelter/house? I free range during the day when I am home but they still have to be locked up sometimes. Anyway I still think I might get one or two of the "free" ducklings just to try out ducks and see how I like them. I just noticed the "Metzer farms" ad up above would that be a good place to order from? They say you can order as little as two. That is good...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom