Are Cuckoo Marans crossed with Welsummers sex-linked?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by playswithfowl, May 1, 2009.

1. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I found someone that has chicks of this cross, and they said that they are sex-linked and I just wanted to make sure this is true. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks--PWF

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Welsumer roo over cuckoo Marans hens= yes sex linked. Cockerels have white spot on back of head.

Cuckoo Marans roo over Welsumer hens= nope. All chicks will have head spot.....

Update us on the egg color pullets of this cross lay! Was tempted to when I had both but never did..

3. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Quote:Thanks for replying, I hope that it is Welsumer roo over Cuckoo Marans hens! I will definitely update once they start laying.

4. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Well I made an accidental cross along these lines but the rooster was a Black Copper x Birchin roo over a Welsummer hen. (To clarify this was several years ago when Marans colors weren't exactly kept seggregated because it was so hard to find them. I bought him and a pullet that was Cuckoo x Black Copper. Made for interesting babies.)

Anyway, Black Jack the Marans rooster must have bred some of the Welsummer hens before I got them separated. (The Marans grew up with my Welsummers.) I only hatched two pullets from this cross and they were solid black with silver highlights in their hackles and black eyes. I guess technically that is Birchin. They layed dark nice eggs. Those hens bred back to the Welsummer roo produced gorgeous pullets. All were black with gold highlights in the hackles this time and dark brown eyes. These pullets layed darker eggs than the Marans, Welsummers, or Pendesencas I had. Gorgeous egg color. Wish I had pics of the crosses and their eggs, but I don't. I called the cross a Welmarans. And before I lost my birds had debated setting up a breed pen for them. Funny thing though, I never knew what a rooster from this cross looked like as I only hatched pullets. Go figure.

5. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    What do the females of this cross look like?

6. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    What do the females of this cross look like?

I only hatched two pullets from this cross and they were solid black with silver highlights in their hackles and black eyes. I guess technically that is Birchin.

Those hens bred back to the Welsummer roo produced gorgeous pullets. All were black with gold highlights in the hackles this time and dark brown eyes.​

7. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    That cross is different than cuckoo marans crosses with welsummers correct?

8. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Quote:Cool and thanks for the answer.. I did wonder if the eggs from the crosses/mixes might lay different colors due to the egg color genes being 'mixed together' or something to that effect.. Had no idea if the effect would be darker, lighter or just about the same..

9. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Quote:If you were asking re: Cuckoo Marans x Welsumer:

CM roo x Welsumer hen= all chicks black with white head spot(on back of head, check out pictures of Barred Rock chicks etc). As adults they will be mostly black with either sparse or 'normal' barring with some color leaking through the necks and saddles.

Welsumer roo x CM hens= male chicks black with white head spot, female chicks black with no head spot. As adults the males will be lightly barred(on average) with color leaking through on neck/saddles. Adult hens solid black with some color leaking on neck, maybe on breast.. Look sort of similar to black sex link hens(which in fact are crosses like a RIR over Barred Rock hens- same sort of color/gene pairing as Welsumer x CM hens)

10. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I'm going to remember this thread because I have CM and Wellies.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by