Are Danish Leghorns as productive as production leghorns?

Free Range Mama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
I have a few danish leghorns I would like to raise for production egg layers rather than ornamental chickens. They aren't laying yet, but soon! Are they as productive? Will they lay 6 or 7 eggs a week?
Thanks

Quote:
Production type white leghorns are almost impossible to beat as productive layers, they eat little and lay a lot, but don't expect them to lay 7 days a week for 365 days, they lay at most 300 eggs per year, some less, BUT any tipy of leghorns(except the bantam I think) are good layers...

Danish Brown Leghorns are the production Brown Leghorn.They lack the type and feathering of the exhibition Light Brown Leghorn.Danish Brown Leghorns are crude in stippling and have much shafting,both of which are color faults.The production White Leghorns are likily to produce a few more eggs due to more selection pressure.
.Brown Leghorns are less noticed by hawks.

Quote:
Production type white leghorns are almost impossible to beat as productive layers, they eat little and lay a lot, but don't expect them to lay 7 days a week for 365 days, they lay at most 300 eggs per year, some less, BUT any tipy of leghorns(except the bantam I think) are good layers...

I don't see why the bantams shouldn't be as productive as the Large Fowl, just smaller eggs. (With selection)

Bantam Leghorns are fair layers,but depending on the location,being small in body mass they are very much influenced by temperature,especially the cold.Much of their food energy is used to keep warm and so many bantams will not lay much during the coldest part of fall,winter and spring.This is a general thing and there are some exceptions.The molt has an effect on egg production as well as broodiness.Each strain is different,but some bantam Leghorn strains are very broody.Plus the bantams have not had the concentrated effort of egg production,selected for like the large fowl Leghorns.

Quote:

I don't see why the bantams shouldn't be as productive as the Large Fowl, just smaller eggs. (With selection)

this

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Here's what I figured: They are the same breed, therefore the same standard (just bantam sized), and the Leghorn's standard was made the way it is for the breed to excel at egg production. That's my thinking. BTW, with selection. Thanks, Dan for the information, as always.
Mitch

Last edited:
Quote:
Dan if you had nothing to work but Production white leghorns, how would you go about recreating something showable from them?

you wouldn't.. you would sell out and start over.

Quote:
Dan if you had nothing to work but Production white leghorns, how would you go about recreating something showable from them?

you wouldn't.. you would sell out and start over.

I don't belive Nicalandia has that option. . . "Start where you are with what you have" may work.
Mitch

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom