Are Delawares reliable layers?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FunnyFarmer, Dec 18, 2008.

1. FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Efland, NC
    I'm thinking about getting some--a fellow crazy animal person told me the guy at the feed store has some three-week-old chicks he'd really like to get rid of. I had planned on getting Rhode Island Reds this spring, but hey--plans can change. I do need good layers though.

Erika

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Mine sure are...1 a day each w/o fail. [​IMG] One of them actually does what I call "honking" instead of "clucking". I love them a LOT. They are one of the most friendly hens I have! If I am sitting in a chair in their run, they're the first ones to jump in my lap above all of my other breeds. They are such a bright white color when they are adults w/ a little black barring on their necks & tails. Plus, they are a heritage breed from what I've read. [​IMG]

Edited: Here's a link with a pic. [​IMG] http://www.mypetchicken.com/Delaware-B43.aspx

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  3. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes, Delawares are very good, reliable layers.

4. DeeTee

DeeTee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    I have three Delaware pullets, and each lays 5 to 6 eggs per week.
    On top of that they are calm, sweet birds that love to be petted and picked up, and come running when I call.

Here's a little video of one of mine singing her egg song:

5. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Most of my Delis are in a coop without extra light, but they're still laying. I got 9 eggs (make that 10) today from the girls listed in my sig. The average has been 5-8 since the end of summer.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Got the first egg from one of my two Delaware pullets today. They are 23 weeks old. My friend Kate, who used to own a breeding pair, was happy with the size of the eggs and the consistency of laying.

7. FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Efland, NC
    hmm.....well, I was saved from myself because when I got to the feed store they were already gone, but maybe I'll get a couple or three in the spring with the RIRs. I hadn't quite decided what to do with them in the house yet.....and it will be warmer by March and they won't have to stay in as long.

Erika

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by