Are Dominiques flighty?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tiny529, Jul 7, 2011.

1. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    I bought my Dominique chick because I read in numerous places that they are calm and docile. Plus I liked the idea of having a slightly rarer bird than a Barred Plymouth Rock. But I just got a book out of the library that says Dominiques are flighty. My chick is not quite 3 weeks old and is one of my favorites. She's very friendly and is the first to come see me and hop into my hand. Will she become flighty or is this book mistaken?

2. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    No,your chick should not become flighty. I have a Dom chick like yours that runs to see me every time I'm around. He's about 6 weeks old now and as sweet as ever. Chicks sometimes go through a scaredy-cat stage. She may or may not as she gets a bit older. But if she does, treat her well and she will come back around with a little time.

3. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    2 of my Doms are super friendly! They run over to be picked up when I put my hand in their brooder, and now that they are getting bigger, if I don't pick them up they hop onto my arm. If I am holding a different chick, they sometimes try to fly up to me and land on anything available [​IMG]

The other girl is not afraid, just doesn't like to be picked up or petted [​IMG]

LOVE my Dominique girls!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by