Are Drakes necessary?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheDuffields, Oct 13, 2014.

1. TheDuffields

TheDuffields Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    I want ducks for eating their eggs. Do I need a drake in order to entice the girls to lay eggs? I thought I read somewhere that the girls will be happier if there is a drake too.

Thanks!

2. CandylandRanch

CandylandRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2014
    Michigan
    I'm no expert but I do have a couple ducks and a dozen chickens, and I do believe that the female ducks will lay without the drake. My drake seems to be stressing everyone else out more than anything. I think if you keep her happy and she has a nice nest and you create a laying conducive environment that it's only natural for her to lay. Good luck! Also I invested in some good chicken books before I got my flock and that might be good advice for you as well.

3. Sfraker

Sfraker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    Nope, they will lay just fine without the drake. I too have heard that ducks need drakes to be mentally happy, but I think my four girls would be happiest without the drake. I had to keep him seperate for a few days due to overbreeding one female. They were fine without him. They actually seemed more relaxed to me.

4. CandylandRanch

CandylandRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2014
    Michigan
    I am actually trying to find solutions for my drake on another thread, I'm afraid of him hurting my chickens.. He's a very zealous little creature.. So when I read "are drakes necessary" it really made me laugh because that was definitely what has been on my mind.

1 person likes this.
  5. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Well it depends on the ape of duck, like rouen will lay eggs eve without males. but my muscovies have to have a male to even lay infertile eggs, so it just depends

6. TheDuffields

TheDuffields Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    I have indian runners

7. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Then I think you'll be fine without drakes :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by