Are Drakes necessary?

TheDuffields

Chirping
Feb 2, 2013
Minnesota
I want ducks for eating their eggs. Do I need a drake in order to entice the girls to lay eggs? I thought I read somewhere that the girls will be happier if there is a drake too.

Thanks!

I'm no expert but I do have a couple ducks and a dozen chickens, and I do believe that the female ducks will lay without the drake. My drake seems to be stressing everyone else out more than anything. I think if you keep her happy and she has a nice nest and you create a laying conducive environment that it's only natural for her to lay. Good luck! Also I invested in some good chicken books before I got my flock and that might be good advice for you as well.

Nope, they will lay just fine without the drake. I too have heard that ducks need drakes to be mentally happy, but I think my four girls would be happiest without the drake. I had to keep him seperate for a few days due to overbreeding one female. They were fine without him. They actually seemed more relaxed to me.

I am actually trying to find solutions for my drake on another thread, I'm afraid of him hurting my chickens.. He's a very zealous little creature.. So when I read "are drakes necessary" it really made me laugh because that was definitely what has been on my mind.

I want ducks for eating their eggs. Do I need a drake in order to entice the girls to lay eggs? I thought I read somewhere that the girls will be happier if there is a drake too.

Thanks!
Well it depends on the ape of duck, like rouen will lay eggs eve without males. but my muscovies have to have a male to even lay infertile eggs, so it just depends

Back
Top Bottom