Are dried oak leaves poisonous to chickens?

Lockbox1111

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 28, 2013
Last fall my neighbor dropped off 50 bags of oak leaves. I let them dry and chopped them up with the lawn mower for my garden. It's great for making organic matter in the soil. I started reading in this forum of poisonous plants. Does anyone know if dried leaves are bad for chickens? I've got 5 chickens coming next week. These oak leaves are all over my garden and around the outside of the fenced in garden area. Gosh I hope not
roll.png

Our chicken coop and run has been under a big oak tree for about 1 1/2 years with no problems.

My chickens would've been dead 10 years ago if that were true, as our property is full of oak trees. We mulch them and the chickens scratch in the leaves year round. They're all happy and healthy :D

My coop is under a stand of oaks. The flock's favorite thing to do is scratch-scritch through the piles of fallen oak leaves after they turn in the fall. Lots of nice bugs in there. With 24 birds, it sounds like a bunch of gnomes raking. :D. I even spread piles of leaves in the run, and the chickens love to spread it around looking for tasties. Good luck with your chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom