are dry lawn clippings good for floor material in my chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cluckin tractor, Aug 13, 2010.

1. cluckin tractor

cluckin tractor Chillin' With My Peeps

mow alot of lawn in summer, grass cuttings heat up and dry quickly. get alot of grass clippings

2. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Well, they sure do like the green grass cuttings, but you may find the dry cutting tend to get all matted and smelly, especially if the inside of your run/coop ever gets wet. I tried all sorts and have eventually settled on wood shavings as they seem to keep the coop and rund smelling lovely and fresh. I suppose a lot depends on how much work you're willing to put into it.

Good luck

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yeah, unless they are dried first they'd turn into a smelly mess. Go with pine shavings and leave the mowed grass outside.

4. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    DRIED grass clippings- completely dry and not moldy- is basically hay.
    1. Let lawn get a bit high.
    2. Cut on a super warm and sunny day and let dry
    3. Then once dew is gone (the next day) run over it again with the lawnmower.
    4. Let dry again.

Congrats- you just made very short stemmed hay [​IMG]

Then rake up and put somewhere out of the weather (or use immediately in coop). About once or twice a week throw some BOSS or corn in the litter and they will keep it aerated.

The only problem I have is that the yard rake for the lawnmower doesn't pick up the "hay" really well so I have to hand rake/ gather it.

5. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    all depends on flooring ..mine is cement..i LOVE using grass clippings...besides cost is free..coop smells good for few days. in nest box eggs stay cleaner as long as clippings are replaced often..i also use pine bedding & or straw..chickens peck thur egging bugs & seeds & grasses.

6. cluckin tractor

cluckin tractor Chillin' With My Peeps

pine shavings and stuff that incorparates with wood is a no go , live in the middle of no where, no saw mill for ages, i'm stuck with grass clippins, dried excess silage, hay, straw, dirt and dried plant material, grass clippings when dried are good for summers as it would dry quickly and bearly gets wet, and foud it goes well with dust. i would not use it when it gets wet and if it does than i would replace it with whatever is in season.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by