are Duck eggs dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peking, May 6, 2009.

1. peking

peking New Egg

May 6, 2009
    I have eggs that turned from white--peking ducks--to a grey blob color. We are at day 24, are these eggs dead--I did a bad thing and candled them today because I do't know what is going on and don't want them to explode. It has a big uneven air sac and a dark unmoving blob inside. Help! About half are like this.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    I don't know about ducks but if I saw that at day 15 - 19 with chicks I would be quite happy! Sounds like 1/2 are good!

what do the other 1/2 look like?

any smells?

3. peking

peking New Egg

May 6, 2009
    Hello!
    The other half are white. The ones with the grey blobs do not have a smell--do you think they are rotten? I am just afraid that we will end up with these "exploders" that people talk about--should we throw them out?. Also, I notice that some of the white ones are rocking and we have heard cheeping--do you think it will be long before they hatch? We are newbies at this and I am stressing because we totally don't know what we are doing. They were my sister's peking ducks' eggs and she thought it would be great for my daughters to try and hatch them. I am stressing out! Thank you for any help you can give us!

4. Backyard Farm

Apr 1, 2009
    Well,
    I never had a chicken egg explode.
    I've never had one smell real bad.
    I had lots of eggs that were left in until hatch time that didn't hatch.
    I usually candle about day 18 (for chickens) and take out any that are clear (no development).

If they are rockin and talkin... you are getting close!!

Like I said, I don't have ducks.

hopefully someone who really knows ducks will help you..

can you rename you thread to something like " are my DUCK eggs dead?" then maybe someone who really knows ducks can help you.

The two different colors is puzzling to me as chicken eggs that are developing or not developing don't have a different color.

The ones that are rockin' and talkin' .... do they look the same inside as the ones you are worried about?

....but when you open the bator do it quickly and don't keep the eggs out too long.

Also, I think the humidity has to be quite high for ducks. For chickens, I want the humidity to be about 65% or a little more.

...but rockin' and talkin' is definitely good!![​IMG]

5. peking

peking New Egg

May 6, 2009
    Hello,
    Yes I will try and rename the post--I am not good at this... We have water trays in our incubator and they are filled. But I don't know what the humidity is because I didn;t know I was supposed to have something to check it---if these ducks survive it will be a miracle! I feel like I have done so much wrong! I can't thank you enough for your help! I feel like I ma going to have a nervous breakdown when this is all over!
    Thank you again!

6. Backyard Farm

Apr 1, 2009
    If you can't change the title maybe just start a new thread...

7. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Usually the dark blob is the duckling. It could be either dead or just resting. Try gently tapping the egg while candling to see if it is moving. Sometimes their movement is very faint so you need to look ate the rim where the air cell is to see if their is movement.
    Good Luck!
    Brandy

8. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I honestly have never had and egg that far along explode. There is not must fluid left in the eggs at that stage. I had one, but it was before day 7.

9. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    When a duck egg gets grey blobs or a grey mottled appearance on the surface it usually means the duckling has died but if it does not stink it will not explode.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    When you candle the egg, does the dark blob move around the egg as you rotate it? If is does it could mean that it did die. Give it another day then check again, you should seen movement within the egg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by