1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Duck Eggs Hard to Hatch??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickens4jojo, Jul 2, 2008.

1. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    I have hatched some chickens eggs, but I would love to have a few little ducks, too.

Are ducks difficult to hatch?? Just wondering......

2. bwhite28

bwhite28 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2007
    Southeastern PA
    I have hatched them fine, they are just about as easy as hatching any other egg. Just so you know ducks are cute but they are messy little buggers.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Call ducks are very hard to hatch. I read that one guy set over a thousand eggs each spring, and his hatch rate was around less than 50%.

Larger ducks, like mallards, are very easy to hatch.

4. courtshep

courtshep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    West Virginia
    Over the spring I hatched 2 duck eggs that my friend found in her yard. They did beautifully. Just remember to turn them frequently and keep high moisture in the incubator. They are so cute when they hatch! Unfortunately, when I turned them outside (after they had fully feathered out), one disappeared. But the other hangs around the house and is really pleasant. I think he/she needs a friend, though.

5. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

Quote:i thought call ducks and mallards are the same thing?? [​IMG] idk... [​IMG] im setting 36 duck eggs next weekend.. [​IMG]

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:i thought call ducks and mallards are the same thing?? [​IMG] idk... [​IMG] im setting 36 duck eggs next weekend.. [​IMG]

nope. Call ducks weight about 1-2 pounds. Mallards are like double that. Call ducks are a bantam duck breed.

7. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Thanks so much everyone for your help. [​IMG]

I think I will try it now with just a small amount of the larger duck eggs as I didn't know that about call ducks. [​IMG]

courtshep: I am sorry about your disappearing duck. I hope you can find the other one a friend~~ [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by