1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are duck eggs safe to eat if my duck was attacked by a raccoon?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Srt4te, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Srt4te

Srt4te Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    New jersey
    Hey all,I have 2 pekins both females who for whatever reason just started laying yesterday.In early september one of my ducks was attacked by a raccoon.She was pretty beat up but made it and has adapted to her half bill very well.I was wondering if there were any duck owners out there who have had a duck that was attacked and is now a productive layer.The reason Im asking is becasue i want to know if its safe to eat her eggs.I know ducks and poultry cannot get rabies but I was wondering if there was any other illness or disease I should be concerned about.

2. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    you should be fine but if your worring just fling them away for a week then start eating them again :)

3. Valntyn

Valntyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Central Maine
    When one of our ducks was attacked last year, the vet stated we should wait a couple months to eat any eggs laid, but I think that was so the medication would fully work its way out of the duck's system. I would think after this amount of time, you're fine.

And congratulations on the new supply of eggs! [​IMG]

4. Srt4te

May 4, 2012
    New jersey
    Thanks for the responses guys.Valntyn our duck was also on antibiotics for 3 weeks.At first a mix with water and then an injection.I figured everything would have been taken care of after that. I also assumed that once you cook the eggs they would probably be fine.Fellow user "amiga" also posted on one of the other threads "healthy ducks lay eggs".Valntyn is your duck that got attacked a productive layer? If so do you eat or use her eggs? Im really excited about the new crop of eggs also! If there is anyone else out there who has had a duck or chicken that was attacked and now lays please chime in,I could use the input.

5. Valntyn

Valntyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Central Maine
    Well, funnily enough, our young 'girl' turned out to be a boy, so we didn't end up having to worry about waiting any set time before eating eggs, beeeeecause there weren't any... [​IMG] He also isn't one of our meat ducks, so we didn't have to worry about waiting to eat him, either. Sorry I can't help further. [​IMG]

6. Srt4te

May 4, 2012
    New jersey
    Ok.thanks for the reply. I'm trying to look around do some more research. I'm also gonna crack a couple eggs and see how they look. Ill probably muster up the guts to try one soon too hahahha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by