Are ducks cold hardy?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
I want to get 2 or 3 Khaki Campbell ducks next spring and am wondering how cold hardy they are - I live in Iowa and below zero temperatures are not uncommon. I have chickens, and they do fine, but wondering if ducks can handle cold temps.

Khakis are real hardy birds, but if it's below freezing you may wanna keep them cooped. Case in point: 50 Ducks in a Hot Tub. RIP Miss Icecovy + however many other frostbitten ducks he lost due to carelessness :/

Last edited:
Our ducks made it through winter just fine up here in NH--we had just two pekins at the time, and they often wanted to be out even in pretty cold weather. Temps here did get all the way down to -30 on the worst nights, but we had them cooped and they were alright. Keeping water thawed worked well with one of those electric water-warmers, but we lost power and all the water froze on at least one occasion (though only overnight, so it really wasn't a huge problem).

I grew up in Pennsylvania next to a spring fed lake. Ducks lived there all year round without any problems. The lake would freeze about half way over in winter. I read if you live in an area that gets excessive cold you should have a draft free shelter for them. Wouldn't hurt to put in a heat lamp for when the bad cold hits.

I grew up in Pennsylvania next to a spring fed lake. Ducks lived there all year round without any problems. The lake would freeze about half way over in winter. I read if you live in an area that gets excessive cold you should have a draft free shelter for them. Wouldn't hurt to put in a heat lamp for when the bad cold hits.
Thanks for the advice I live in pa and was wondering if I should get ducks

It’s been -20 out and my ducks play in there pools cold doesn’t bother them like it does us.they play in the creek all winter.

Back
Top Bottom