Are ducks cold hardy?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicks Galore3, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I want to get 2 or 3 Khaki Campbell ducks next spring and am wondering how cold hardy they are - I live in Iowa and below zero temperatures are not uncommon. I have chickens, and they do fine, but wondering if ducks can handle cold temps.

2. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I live in WI and my ducks do fine. We had some -15 and colder last winter. I just put heat lamps in the coop and all was good.

3. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Khakis are real hardy birds, but if it's below freezing you may wanna keep them cooped. Case in point: 50 Ducks in a Hot Tub. RIP Miss Icecovy + however many other frostbitten ducks he lost due to carelessness :/

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  4. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Yes I did have to keep mine in some days. Also you need to keep water thawed for them. More then chickens need.

5. sunnyfishy

sunnyfishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2014
    Our ducks made it through winter just fine up here in NH--we had just two pekins at the time, and they often wanted to be out even in pretty cold weather. Temps here did get all the way down to -30 on the worst nights, but we had them cooped and they were alright. Keeping water thawed worked well with one of those electric water-warmers, but we lost power and all the water froze on at least one occasion (though only overnight, so it really wasn't a huge problem).

6. Glenda Sue

Glenda Sue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    East Texas
    I grew up in Pennsylvania next to a spring fed lake. Ducks lived there all year round without any problems. The lake would freeze about half way over in winter. I read if you live in an area that gets excessive cold you should have a draft free shelter for them. Wouldn't hurt to put in a heat lamp for when the bad cold hits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by