Are ducks ever NOT hungry?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckfarmer1, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    My ducks eat a lot! I have 43. I tried using those large metal feeders but I found that the feed wasn’t coming down...no mater what level I put the metal hinges at. So, then, I’d come out to starving ducks and half full feeders. So now I feed them twice a day with snacks...not over 10%, and most of what I give involves veggies. We made them feeders built into the wall of the barn, and then I use two pans on the floor for the smaller ones. They get 18% protein. What I’m doing right now is I have crumbles in one bin and layers mixed with a small amount of cracked corn in another. I’ll do one scoop of each Into my bucket. I give them two 5 gallon buckets a day...give or take.

But, they are still hungry. Is this not enough?

I have 19 chickens who have a big plastic feeder and a small feeder and I only fill that like ever three days. Same food.

I’m getting off the layer now due to winter but I buy my feed like ten 50 lb bags at time of each, so, I’m using this up. I will still stick to the crumbles at 19% protein.

The feed is very similar to the ingredients of the Purina brands, just made locally.

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

What breeds? 18% protein is pretty high for Ducks and corn isn't great either. Fatty liver syndrome can happen to fat birds.

3. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    I have about 14 breeds...small and a couple big, and a goose. I have read all over that you can add a little cracked corn in the winter to fill their belly overnight and help with a layer of Fay during the cold. I’ve also been told 16% is too low protein...

DucksOhio, Jac Jac, KaleIAm and 5 others like this.
  4. chickens really

Alright..:frow
    Definitely not a program I follow. :thumbsup

5. Duckie doodle

Duckie doodle Songster

Jun 27, 2019
    NY
    I get all flock feed from tractor supply for my ducks, it has 20% protien in it. I do not feed corn only because I have heard bad things about getting stuck in there crop, they could choke. I give corn as a snack only. I also have various breeds and have 13 ducks. I feed them twice a day morning and night. I also take the food and water away overnights.

6. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    You take the water away at night? I have large under-the-bed tubs that my hubby made these partial wood covers for the middle. They slide on and off. This way they can dunk their heads to clean themselves without making a huge mess.

I’ve looked into All Flock, and bought some for a few weeks. They didn’t seem to eat less and I was spending a lot more money with 43 ducks. I never want to downsize, but they are expensive. My husband thinks they are greedy and prefers chickens because of this reason:(

I reminded him that our dogs never turn down a treat. :)

7. chickens really

Why have 43 Ducks? Selling as meat or eggs?

8. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted to Ducks

Jul 8, 2018
    (Southern USA)
    Maybe it’s not that they eat a lot, but that you have SO many! :eek:

DucksOhio, Momplus1, TwoCrows and 7 others like this.
  9. featherhead007

featherhead007 Free Ranging

Some people love a challenge I guess.

10. Ratchnick

Ratchnick Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Anchorage Alaska
    Here is some info from "Stories Guide to raising ducks" The author dave holderread is the authority on duck breeding in North America.

He says 16% or 18% layer feed in the summer and 12-14% maintenance feed when not laying. Also said you can mix in grains to dilute the protein% . Here is a handy feed calculator to help you figure that out.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/FeedConversion.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=24683787

Also large (8-9lbs) ducks should be getting. 3 to .45 lbs when not producing and .45-.6 when producing.

Small ducks (4-5 lbs) .2-.3 lbs maintenance and .3-.4 laying

In the book dave recounts a story when a customer said that his ducks were eating 2 lbs of food a day. Turns out it's not possible for ducks to eat that much, rats were responsible.

DucksOhio, TwoCrows, KaleIAm and 5 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: