Are Ducks good Backyard Birds???-Or are they too loud/neighbors

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by leasmom, Nov 15, 2008.

1. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    I am living in an area where my gate is connected to other peoples yards...I have chickens and they don't make that much noise. But my daughter wants to raise ducks/geese too...are they too loud for a neighborhood???

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I would say so, yes. I know some ducks are quieter than others, but geese are very noisey. And both of them are very messy, with very large poop compared to chickens. Depending on how large of an area they would be ranging, a yard can be any size, I'd think there would be smell/fly problems in the summer unless they are in a very large area. imho. These are reasons we have chosen not to have waterfowl.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Maybe get some Call ducks [​IMG]

4. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    I could care less about the neigbors... lol.

My ducks aren't very loud. They're pekins.
    Some ducks are louder than others, theres some breeds who quack very little. Muscovies would be good. Calls are very loud I hear.

5. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    call ducks are very noisey

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I spose they would be, wouldn't they.... [​IMG]

7. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Muscovy ducks are very quiet, they do not quack, they hiss. They are also excellent fly and bug eaters. Call ducks are extremely loud!

As for geese, Chinese are supposed to be the loudest, followed by African, I believe. My American Buffs and Blue's are not that loud.

8. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:True. I have Calls and they are very loud. So is my Pekin and Cayuga duck. My Scovies are very very quite. They barely make a sound. I would suggest Scovies if you have neighbors. I have 2 geese also and they are extremely loud.

9. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    I also have calls and neighbors. My Greys are very quiet. HArdly a peep out of them. My snowys on the other hand are quiet noisy but only whne they get excited and actually it is the larger female. As far as the heighbors, I bribe them with eggs from the chickens. It's worked so far.

jeremy

10. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:True. I have Calls and they are very loud. So is my Pekin and Cayuga duck. My Scovies are very very quite. They barely make a sound. I would suggest Scovies if you have neighbors. I have 2 geese also and they are extremely loud.

here here i live on a 1/3 acre city lot and have six muscovies, no complaints, they boys will hiss a bit and the girl he a weak little quiet quack when they are exited or scared or angry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by