Are Ducks Legal To Keep Where You Live

farmgirlsomeday

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014
I jumped thru many hoops and paid two fees ($50 to Building Codes & another $25 to Animal Control - and that one has to be paid annually) to become a properly permitted backyard chicken keeper in my city. Now I have a duckling, having wrongly assumed that my permit would allow her.

In fact, however, the ordinance that lays out how a resident can become permitted to keep backyard chickens specifically disallows ducks (and geese and turkeys). My bad for not reading it more closely.

But since I have this adorable baby Pekin hanging out with us inside our house (she was outdoors with an adoptive Silkie mama, but when I learned that she was a fugitive from justice according to city ordinance, I moved her indoors to a nice big box with a heatlamp and big dish o' water, which she loves. I brought one of the baby chicks in to be her buddy. I brought her inside because I don't want some busybody calling the duck police on us while I figure out what to do.

I've contacted my City Council member and requested a change to the current ordinance that would allow permit holders to keep up to 2 ducks. He is going to introduce the proposed change soon, but until he does and it passes, I have an illegal duck.

For those of you who live in cities and towns, what do your local laws say about keeping ducks? Are your ducks legal or on the downlow. Have any of you successfully lobbied to have your own local ordinances changed to allow the keeping of ducks?

Thanks!

We live in De Pere, WI, just south of Green Bay. Ordinances in both cities allow up to four fowl without a permit. Absolutely no roosters. The four can be any combination of chickens, ducks or geese. If you want more than four, then you must get an annual permit. That's the way I read it anyway. No problems to date. I don't think it would have mattered, but within a few days of getting our two ducks, I told the neighbors on either side of us about our new "pets". They got a kick out of it and always ask how the ducks are doing.

Our ordinance doesn't mention anything about ducks. Just that we're allowed up to six laying hens, no roosters. I did specifically ask animal control about ducks and they didn't say anything about them not being allowed... But they didn't say that they were allowed either.

So technically I think that mine are "illegal". I also have a few more hens than the ordinance allows. But to get in trouble for it I'd have to be reported by a neighbor and well, my neighbors really like the free fresh eggs...

Actually, it's kind of cool giving neighbors eggs. One of my neighbors makes fresh bread. So we trade, she gets fresh eggs, I get fresh bread. We just had some new neighbors move in and when they are settled in I'll be taking them some eggs.

My city ordinance states that I can have 3 adult fowl, no statues on species. Due to that regulation, we'll build an enclosure and start with 3 muscovy ducks. If the neighbors decide to get upset about it, they can do so while I have my legal limit. After a few months, the novelty should wear off, and since muscovies are quiet, theoretically the neighbors will get used to seeing the pen, and forget about them, at which point, I can increase my numbers without much fear of backlash from the city. Plus, I'll be able to begin bribing the neighbors with eggs.

Thanks y'all. This is super helpful. I hope that others will chime in with info on the ordinances where they Iive.

Hi, I know it's been 6 years, but I was wondering if you were able to get that ordinance passed? We find ourselves in exactly the same situation as you- 2 rescued ducks we're now attached to, but our town only allows 5 chickens, no ducks.

My town lumps all fowl together and your allowed unlimited number so long as they are healthy and do not cause a nuisance for neighbors.

Provision is if more then 10, you have to have a coop or someway to enclose/contain them. aka no free ranging in town.

Back
Top Bottom