Are ducks like dogs?

duck15

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Philippines Makati
If you have a duck and gave it a name how would you call i mean would it be weird calling the ducks but they dont understand you and its like talking to your self
Question is would they understand you and go to you when you say their name often?
Whats a good name for a male pekin duck?

Some ducks might but its very rare and if youve had them since birth they may follow you also I think you should name him Shiro (it's white in Japanese)!!

I don't know about names, but I've found that if I use the same words whenever I feed any of our fowl, they come when they hear those words. I use, "here chick chick chickie."

I find that my ducks respond to sounds I make consistently. I usually just say "duck duck duck." But a loud single "duck!" means I want their attention, quiet "duck duck duck duck duck" means everything is okay, "peas!" and they come running for treats, and so on.

I have names for all my ducks - mostly it helps me identify to my beloved which one needs special care (who is broody, who is limping, who laid a soft egg, for example).

Go ahead and name them. I think they do recognize different sounds and respond to them, if you use them consistently.

Quote:
Me too. Whenever you feed him just make a sound, for example "duck, duck, duck, DUCK!" and he'll realize whenever he hears that sound food is involved and he'll start following you when you make that sound.

As far as calling them, I whistle and they all come running, ducks and chickens. they know it's treat time
smile.png
and all my ducks have names and most of my chickens and my only goose too
tongue.png

Some of mine have names and some don't. They don't pay any attention to names anyway. What they do recognize is the time. I let them out and feed and water them between 6:30 and 7:00 every morning. Then again around 1:00 they get fresh water and again around 8:00 I feed, water and lock their gate. They have good hearing and eyesight and know the minute I set foot outside to let them out in the mornings. They start quacking and honking loud enough to wake the dead. They know exactly when I'm going to give them fresh water and then again at night when it's time to be locked in. When I go out any other time they don't pay any attention to me. They know their routine like clock work.

My two ducks come when I whistle, or call out "Duck Babies" they come runnin. Sometimes I pat my leg and call them they will come or when I snap my fingers they come. I do this with my dogs so it is a habit to snap. I know mine do what my dogs do as far as going on top of the hot tub. They see the dogs up there so they had to be up there too. Or nesting on the side of the house where the dogs lay in the day. I have also come out and looked all over the yard to find them only to see that they were in the dog house.

Back
Top Bottom