Are ducks louder than beagles? Labs? What about schedules?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Roosterboy, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Our neighbors have two beagles and they bark constantly. No on says anything but i wanted to know if they were louder. What about a lab?
    We have a lab that barks occasionally when someone walks by.

Also, i know that they don't quack as much when they are on a schedule but if they are fed free choice all hours of the day (I am still a bit confused) could i get away to just go out after school or would they bark? Can i go off schedule to go out and feed treats, talk to chickens?
    I will still have a schedule for food and water(Drinking and swimming) but i go outside a lot also and that is not scheduled (Trampoline, chickens, and gardening in spring, not to mention eating outside)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  2. Roosterboy

Oct 28, 2008
    Well, i would like to know if anyone out there does. The original title said runners so yeah, about runners

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Mucoveys don't quack so they would be a good choice if you are after a quiet duck.

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    oops sorry didn't read the bit about runners. I don't have them i do have Muscoveys and Khaki Campells. The Campbells can be rather loud but I live on acreage so it's not an issue here.

5. Roosterboy

Oct 28, 2008
    Well, i live in the suburbs kinda. Sooooo, how loud is not to loud for an acreage? [​IMG] Thanks for responding

6. EggHunter_66

EggHunter_66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Box Springs,Georgia
    My Campbell is VERY loud! Her mate, a Pekin never makes a noise. We live on 5 ac. out in the country and you can hear her quack carry...lol. As for being on a schedule, my birds are and she knows it so right before dinner time she is the loudest calling for it and she will start an hour or so before.

7. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    RoosterBoy I am about to just send you a duck, my friend. [​IMG]

It is OBVIOUS that you want a duck...just go get some. Get some boys - the neighbors will never know. [​IMG]

8. Roosterboy

Oct 28, 2008
    Yeah, i know i just don't want them to be to loud because my grandma will make some roast duck

9. I have a runner hen who is pretty quiet. My kahki hens are mid way, you can't really compare them to the noise of a dog barking, but they aren't louder than a Rooster.
    My single Pekin hen is LOUD! And can be as loud as a Roo... She only really goes off when she wants me to feed her though, it's not an all day thing. Oh and she quacks Hello to everyone who pulls into the driveway.
    My Khaki drake sounds like he has laringitis (spelled wrong probably)...

If you want to raise chicks, I would go with the Runners I guess. Certainly don't go getting call ducks lol I would stay away from Pekins if noise will be an issue. I'm very glad I only have one, though I wouldn't trade her because she's the farm mascot [​IMG]

10. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:I will guarantee that if you get two boys both your neighbors and your grandma will fall in love. They make the cutest little noise, it is hard not to appreciate it.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by