Are ducks messier than chickens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Quails1, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Ducks (waterfowl)

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. Chickens (gamebirds)

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Quails1

Quails1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Walnut, CA
    From what I've read by many, ducks are way messier/dirtier than chickens. I got a Muscovy duckling on 9/11/16 and she's messier than even one chick I could ever imagine! Ducks also smell worse than chickens, and I know this since we formerly had chickens (we got them as chicks), and the chicks didn't smell as bad (I don't remember them being messier, I guess they're cleaner), nor as messy as my one little duckling (speaking from my experience). So did our quail chicks; like our previous chickens, they were not as bad as my duckling, in terms of mess. How about your experiences concerning ducks' and chickens' mess? Vote your answer in the poll!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Ducks are far messier than chickens and even messier than geese, I think. No question! :p

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Messy, messy, messy.....My Ducks are totally a six duck wreaking crew...Water everywhere, food spilt..Big time poopers, Garden eating monsters...Hole digging mud lovers....Yep...Ducks are by far messier than a Chicken...Little puppies in feathered suits!

I love my Ducks!

Cheers!

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Ducks are very messy,but with the appropriate amount of space they can still have a clean and healthy environment and the mess will stay in one area.

5. Quails1

May 15, 2015
    Walnut, CA
    Amen to you; I agree with all of you! Waterfowl, like ducks, are literally messier than gamebirds (or game birds), like chickens. Imagine the mess a swan would make!

Let's put this mathematically: If the mess of one duckling is equal to the mess of let's say, 12 chicks, the mess of 1 chick would be way much less than a duckling - only 1/12ths of a truckload of hodgepodge! Imagine if they were adults... they'd still be messy, yet not as much as the waterfowl.

6. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Ducks are messier but their poop stinks less[​IMG](Warning: I am biased, I don't like chickens they peck my ducks)

2 people like this.
  7. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Messier like they splash water everywhere

8. HeatherD42

HeatherD42 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    I think duck poop is less offensive. It sinks into the grass so I don't even see it in their pen. I had one chicken in there raising my ducklings once and she left big piles sitting around! When she went back to the neighbor, I did not miss her poop or the big pits she started furrowing for her dust baths...

9. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Yes!!!

10. Quails1

May 15, 2015
    Walnut, CA
    What do you mean by that duck poop is less offensive?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by