are ducks worth keeping?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by itsasmallfarm, Oct 31, 2016.

1. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2016
    hello everyone.

new poultry owner here (sorry for posting a few of these are they worth it questions.) i started out raising chickens this year and now am thinking of upgrading my flock next year with another type of bird. don't worry am going to make different coops for each of my different species of birds (for example a turkey pen, chicken coop, waterfowl coop/pen etc..) and my local hatchery sells Pekin ducks and Emden geese. now i love eating duck (i hunt them and also buy them from the store once in a while) but not sure about keeping a few ducks for the eggs.

I have read that its always best to have different species of animals laying eggs (don't have all your eggs in one basket) so am wondering should i invest in some ducks for meat or should i keep the ducks and just butcher the drakes and keep them for eggs? am really new at this my hens are not even laying eggs yet (only 6 weeks old) but what do they taste like in an honest opinion. any info would be great, am looking at getting pekin ducks (as my local hatchery sells them.) are they good egg layers for a few eggs as a treat once in awhile?

thank you for reading and any info, asmallfarm out.

2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Khaki campbells are the best layers. Tractor supply usually has them in spring.
    Duck egg are really the same, but that have slightly bigger yolks and firmer whites

3. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    My ducks lay better than my chickens do, I was overrun with duck eggs this summer. I have Indian runners, Rouens and a Muscovy. I personally love the duck eggs and prefer them to chicken eggs. But quite a lot of people don't like them at all. I gave away dozens of duck eggs to different people, and almost everyone didn't want any more, even for free! I only had two ladies who liked them. So if you can, I'd suggest trying to get some duck eggs to try first, so you don't discover later that you don't like them.

1 person likes this.
  4. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    It's just the idea of ducks eggs that makes everyone go ewwww, but there isn't anything wrong with them at all. I like my duck eggs better than my chickens eggs too

5. duckmeister

duckmeister Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    My ducks bring joy to ky heart everytime I go outside and look at them. I leave my window open at night and just hearing their quacking is a peaceful noise and helps me sleep. So yes, they are worth keeping. Most people would probably not think so, but us duck crazy, duck obsessed do! :D

2 people like this.
  6. itsasmallfarm

Oct 27, 2016
    aww i really do enjoy the quacking of ducks (maybe its the inner hunter in me :) ) but am thinking of maybe getting a few for pets.

everyone i know thinks the eggs would be gross but am willing to try them and eat them :)

i would try them but don't know where to find them. but if worse comes to worse i could just keep them as pets even if i dislike the eggs (i like ducks)

i have thought about getting a few of them but i really don't need all the eggs they produce with 31 leghorns at the moment and no one near me sells them at hatchery's (i live in Canada)

but thanks to every one who posted all the info helps :)

7. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I was really surprised to discover that so many people had never tried duck eggs; in fact, some didn't know you could eat duck eggs! (scratching my head) People who actually try them, like them. Don't tell the chickens, but I'm with @Bills vs Beaks...I prefer my duck eggs.

If you're trying to find a market for duck eggs, I've found that offering a free sample (2) can turn chicken egg customers into chicken and duck egg customers. I casually mention to chicken egg customers that I have duck eggs, too, and how delicious they are and it piques their interest. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    31 leghorns??? Geez..:

9. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop

I get asked this by my co-workers.. I don't get it!

10. itsasmallfarm

Oct 27, 2016
    ya i had no idea what i was doing this year i thought i was going to lose half of them. turns out not a single one died.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by