are dusty pine wood chips really that bad?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jynestia, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Jynestia

Jynestia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    My youngest chicks are 3 weeks. I was using TSC large wood chips they recommended for reasons I do t even know. When those were out I got something different from the feed store. I didn't get to pick the type, they just hauled out a bag when I asked. I was skeptical because they were small and dusty.

I tried it and it turns out the chicks LOVE it! As soon as I put it in they began trying to take dust baths and peeping excitedly, scratching all over, then nestling down in them for a nap. They never behaved that way in the big ones. They wouldn't nest into the big ones, I don't think they liked how it felt. These seem to stay drier too, to at least the wet stuff doesn't readily seep to the dry parts.

Can it be that terrible if they love it so much?

2. MrsHatz

MrsHatz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2015
    Coventry, RI
    I would really be interesting in seeing the responses.

Question for you Jynestia, did the smaller stuff cause a great deal more dust?

3. Jynestia

Mar 26, 2015
    Yeah. It puffed everywhere even trying to lay it gently. I am using one of my large master bathrooms as a brooding room and had to turn on the fan. But I've never seen the chickies so happy!

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    They don't know the dust is bad for them. If it so dusty you need an exhaust fan on, I would not use it for the main bedding. Maybe use it as part of several materials for a dust bath bowl. Imagine your house filled to scale with that bedding with you walking through eating , drinking laying in it. If you kinda look at it that way, you'll probably make the right decision.[​IMG]

5. Jynestia

Mar 26, 2015
    I'm already looking for other options. Offering them a small amount to play in and making it primarily something else seems like a great compromise.

6. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    [​IMG]

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    As long as you have decent ventilation in the coop, dust shouldn't be a problem. I bet if you took a poll here, is your coop and run dusty? you would find 99% say yes.

Dust is a fact of life in chicken world. I've tried every super human way to get rid of dust in my run, and I still have it. Same in the coop, even changing the wood shavings twice a year.

8. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Try to find a 3 wire square bale of wheat straw almost no dust and it's approx 20.00 and if kept dry ( the bale ) will last forever [​IMG]great for coops, pens as well

9. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Wood shavings are horrible with dust

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  10. madamiec

madamiec Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2013
    Roann, Indiana
    Good...dirt is for dust baths, not wood dust. It's not good for folks who have the chicks inside either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by