Are Easter Egger eggs hard to candle?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicklets81, Mar 31, 2017.

1. chicklets81

chicklets81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2017
    Im incubating cochin bantam eggs, some mix breed eggs from my sister, and a dozen Easter Egger. I can see veins in a few of the cochins, and the mix breed eggs, but I can't see thru any of my Easter Eggers. Has anyone else had this experience?

I had my 1st hatch fail due to a power outage, and I was doing white spitzhauben eggs, which was very easy to see development. I can't see any of these thru the speckled shell, and I'm trying not to get nervous that this means all 12 eggs are either not fertile or not developing.

Any thoughts? Is anyone else unable to see into their EE eggs like me, or am I screwed?

p.s. I am just using a regular LED flash light, not a special candler for eggs.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Some eggs are harder to see through than others, yes, and it can make candling difficult. While you did mention the light you are using you didn't really say much about just how you are candling - for example, are you candling in the room with some natural lighting in it or a completely blackened room (ie closet), are you simply resting the egg on the flashlight or are you using your hand or another object to direct the light?

3. TJs chicklets

TJs chicklets Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd say yes, they are very hard. The flashlight I used last year on brown eggs was useless on the green I have going right now, so I built a contraption with a 60 watt LED bulb- lit up my welsummer eggs no trouble, but I couldn't see anything in the green eggs. Switched it out for a 100 watt bulb- still nothing. I can see aircells, and blackness. So you are not alone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by