1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

are easter eggers araucanas crossed with americanas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sydney13, Sep 3, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    when hatcheries sell easter eggers are they usually araucanas crossed with americanas? or are they araucanas crossed with any random breed?

2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I think most of the hatchery birds have pea-comb, fluffy-cheeks, greenish legs, and various pretty colors, and many have at least 1 blue-egg gene (resulting in some blue, some green, and some brown-eggs if the bird doesn't have the blue-egg gene). I've heard also that they're a mix-breed, but I don't really know what they'd be mixed with since they're so standard in appearance (other than having non-standard colors). I also have Ameraucanas and they are similar but they have 2 copies of the blue-egg gene (instead of EEs having sometimes just 1) and they've been bred to have specific colors that breed-true such as black, blue, wheaten, etc. Hatchery birds won't usually breed true to color (won't necessarily match their parents color) and also breeding 2 together may end up losing the blue egg gene altogether. If you don't plan to breed them though, I think easter-eggers from hatcheries such as Ideal Poultry are a great choice. I have lots of them and they're beautiful and have fun personalities too. If you want to breed your birds in the future (keeping a rooster) instead of buying more at the hatchery every couple years, then you might prefer to go with Ameraucanas then to be sure and keep the blue-egg gene through the generations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by