Are Eater Eggers Good Breeds?

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
Hi!
So, I have a flock of 4 chickns, 1 black australorp, 1 barred rock, and 2 rhode island reds. I have had this flock for over 4 years now, and have unfortunately lost 2 of its memders. One of them I lost 3 years ago because of heart failure, and the other I lost a few months ago because of a hernia.
Now, I am looking to expand my flock by adding 2 more chickens. I am looking for a friendly breed that is not going to be overbred and come with a bunch of health issues. I also do not want a breed that is bred largely for meat. In addition, I need a breed that will do well in very cold weather, but can also withstand hot summers.
When I was originally researching breeds 4 years ago, l saw the easter egger and kind of wanted one, but I ended up deciding on the breeds I have now. But, the easter eggers never really left my mind.
Now I am thinking of getting 2 of them since their characteristics seem to fit my needs. Has anyone had any experience with this breed? Are they healthy, hardy breeds, or sickly with a lot of issues? Any input is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

I've owned only 2 EE's. I currently have one and probably should get more. I have nothing but good things to say about them. Both of them were from different hatcheries and have been excellent layers of light blue eggs and never had any health issues with them.
I've had to trim the fluff on their muff on occasion due to eye irritation which was easy to do without further problems. They handle the heat and humidity well but if it gets into the upper 90's or low 100's with high humidity, they tend to "honk" when they breathe.
They handle the cold well, but cold for us here where I live might be upper 20's if that. We barely see 32 degrees most winters. Yes, go ahead and get couple, you'll enjoy them.

They sound like a breed that would definitely do well in my flock. Do you know of a place I can get 2 this late in the year? I live in the state of New York.

Back
Top Bottom